I almost thought this must be it! But too bad
I disabled smartscreen filter and made sure the site was added to the trusted site (already was). Did a complete restart, but it was still loading for 2 minutes.
Thanks all for your good suggestions. We still haven't solved this.
Because this topic is getting very big, here is a list of our conclusions:
After a lot of testing and debugging on this issue we have come to the following conclusion and are working on a solution.
1. It definately has to do with 2008 R1/R2 servers (IIS 7.x specifically).
2. It definately has to do with Certificates as we can not reproduce the issue over straight HTTP no matter how we try.
3. It all depends where the Certificate is installed. Secure Gateway server, Web Access/Secure Gateway combo or Web Access over SSL.
i. It all depends on 'where' the certificate is installed. If using Secure Gateway on 2008 R1/R2 this is the issue.
4. It does only happen with IE (any version) and not with FireFox or other browsers.
5. If using Windows Server 2003, there are no issues at all.
A temp work-around right now is to use the Secure Gateway server on Windows Server 2003, can be x86 or x64, this does not matter.
We are still debugging and hope to have a proper solution for 2008 R1/R2 using IIS 7.x very soon.
I tried it on Windows 2003. On W2K3 we do not have the .pit timeout, but then we got other problems.
On w2k3 strange things happen with the web-interface like pictures not loading.
So this is not the way we want to go, installing a 7 year old OS. If it would solve all problems then it would be fine, but it introduces new problems.
ps: Stephen says in his situation it is related to the SSL gateway, but in our situation it goes wrong with or without SSL enabled. Even on port 80, we get this timeout.
Only in DMZ...
After a great deal of debugging/troubleshooting, we have narrowed this issue down to an IIS7+ issue currently with the installation of Web Access.
Currently we create an Application Pool to run Web Access and set the 'Managed Pipeline' to 'Integrated'.
Switching this 'Managed Pipeline' to 'Classic' mode appears to resolve the issue.
Quest Support also has a Knowledge Base article on this issue now.
We are very happy with this solution. It was really an annoying problem and very hard to replicate in another environment.
That's what made this one hard to solve, it only happend on our network.
Anyway, by adjusting one small setting in IIS the problem completely disappeard. That's just amazing!
I want to thank everybody who was involved by solving this problem, thanks for your patience. That includes myself (did you try turning it off and on again ).