Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 28th, 2012 10:00

Install Office 2007 through vWorkspace Console

Hi All,

I know that its possible to install office 2007 using the switches /admin and an MSP file. But this requires to be run against the setup.exe file. (You can run this through a .bat file and group policy, but its no good for my enviroment)

To push applications through vWorkspace, i need to install through the MSI which in turn just appears to fail.

Has anyone managed to install the full Office 2007 suite through MSI?

Thanks

228 Posts

November 28th, 2012 14:00

Hi,

I found this statement that suggests it may not be possible to install using the method you describe.

In previous versions of Office, each product consisted of a single Windows Installer package (MSI file). The chief role of Setup.exe was to call Windows Installer (Msiexec.exe) to install the package. Because Setup passed its command line to Windows Installer, it was possible to manage the installation process by setting Window Installer properties on the command line.

In the 2007 Office release, a single Office product comprises multiple MSI files. Setup—not Windows Installer—combines the language-neutral core product package with one or more language-specific packages to create a complete product. No individual MSI file represents a product that anyone can install or use, and Setup is required to assemble the correct set of MSI files and to coordinate the installation process from beginning to end.

The Office product that you install is defined in the XML files on the installation point. Setup reads data in these XML files, assembles the required set of MSI files for the product, copies all the necessary files to the local installation source, and only then calls Windows Installer to complete the installation process.

Regards

David

9 Posts

November 29th, 2012 08:00

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I will just have to manually install this. Even with the config.xml I have to run against the EXE file.

Thanks for your help.

November 29th, 2012 11:00

As this won't work, we could look at it from another angle.

Can you update your master template and use vWorkspace to reprovision your VDIs?

9 Posts

November 29th, 2012 12:00

That is a work around yes.

Although in this scenario it wont be ideal users will only need this some of the time and they reside on persistent VDI's.

Thanks

No Events found!