Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 11th, 2013 14:00

Linked clone failing: The operation is not supported on the object

Hi All - I would appreciate some help on a linked clone operation that is failing.

I use Quest vWorkspace to create linked-clone VM's in my environment.  It integrates with Virtual Centre and creates linked-clones from a parent VM snapshot as per normal.  It's just stopped working and I'm trying to track down the cause.  The task fails with the error message in VMware vCenter console: The operation is not supported on the object.

The vCentre is 5.5 and so is esxi.  vWorkspace is on v8.0 MR1.  The parent VM is located on an iSCSI datastore.  I've tried to place the destination clones on local and NFS datastores with same result.  Unfortunately I can't (don't really want to) move the parent VM from the datastore as I have many VM's linked to this VM.

The failure message is a bit generic so I trawled through the vmkernel.log and vpxa.log and this is an extract of the vpxa.log whick shows task 153 failing.  Can anyone please point out something in the log that should be looked at or an alternative log to look at?

vWorkspace error attached and below:

Linked clone failed  CloneVmLinked  CreateLinkedClone_Task failed! Vmware task  CreateLinkedClone_Task state  error - The operation is not supported on the object. - Call Stacks -    at VmLinkedClone.VmLinkedCloneService.CloneVmLinked String vmInvPath, String strSnapshotMor, String strNewVmName, String strSysprep, ManagedObjectReference morFolder, ManagedObjectReference morResPool, ManagedObjectReference morHost, String strDatastoreName, Boolean bQuickPrep, String domainNameIP, String

See attachments

Many thanks,
Wikus

Additional Attachments:

1 Attachment

January 16th, 2014 10:00

Hello Guys,

For those of you already on 5.5, I've been doing some testing over the last couple of days. I haven't found a magic bullet yet such as a single setting that causes this to break but I have come up with a workaround.

I found that if my ESXi server was still on 5.1, vWorkspace could deploy linked clones through vCenter 5.5  - It's only when the ESXi is also on 5.5 that you have a problem.

If any of you have ESXi hosts still on 5.1, you can deploy there for now.

In ESXi 5.x it's easy to have a virtual ESXi box. You could consider creating some Virtual ESXi boxes to deploy to whilst the vworkspace dev team look into why this isn't working.

I know this isn't the best workaround in the world but it is better than no workaround

Thanks, Andrew.

1 Message

December 5th, 2013 10:00

I am in the same problem.

Please help

4 Posts

January 14th, 2014 09:00

Hi,

yes vsphere 5.5 vworkspace 8.01

thanx

Hi Guys,

From what I can see, we don't officially support VSphere 5.5 yet

Do any of you have an SR open with the support team yet so we can get this to Dev/QA to see what the ETA is on 5.5 support and if there are any workarounds for now ?

Thanks, Andrew.

Is everyone having this issue on VMware  5.5  ?

4 Posts

Hi,

I have the same problem, did anybody manage to solve this issue?

4 Posts

January 14th, 2014 10:00

Hi, i've tried 4 times now, firefox or chrome on mac os X and this is the result:

Bildschirmfoto 2014-01-14 um 13.06.11.png

January 14th, 2014 12:00

Hi Everyone.

I've checked with the Dev team and I can confirm that they are aware of an issue with vWorkspace and vSphere 5.5.

We are working on a compatibility fix and we'll make an announcement once we have more news.

As noted in the System Requirements. The most recent major version that we support is vCenter 5.1 update 1

Thanks,

Andrew.

January 16th, 2014 11:00

I've discovered using the old PowerCLI method of creating Linked Clones fails now I'm on 5.5 too so it's not just vWorkspace affected by this VMware change.

No Events found!