vWorkspace

Last reply by 10-16-2013 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

PNMicSrv.dll Issue

I recently ran up a new Windows 2008R2 vWorkspace 8.0 RDSH server. After configuring it, I could not logon via an RDS session. It would crash reporting an issue with the audio redirector PNMicSrv.dll. I applied hotfix 294101 but still had the problem.

After an uninstall/reinstall of vWorkspace didn't fix the problem, I had a hunt through the registry and found the following value:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\Winstations\RDP-Tcp

REG_SZ AudioEnumeratorDll PNMicSrv.dll

I uninstalled vWorkspace again and removed all vWorkspace registry values I could find. I changed the value above back to the MS Audio Endpoint DLL rdpendp.dll. After reinstalling again, the AudioEnumeratorDll value remained as rdpendp.dll. I could then login and audio redirection appears to work with no problems. I tested changing it to back PNMicSrv.dll and the session again crashed on login.

I checked several other working vWorkspace farms (7.6 & 8.0) and all had the AudioEnumeratorDll value set to rdpendp.dll.

Should this value be set to PNMicSrv.dll or rdpendp.dll (which appears to be the only working configuration)?

Assuming it should be set to rdpendp.dll I am puzzled as to how it ended up with the other value. This wasn't something I had changed manually.

Cheers,

Scott.

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions

Morning Scott,

Thanks for the update.

I'm trying to figure out what the cause is for randomly setting the value but I haven't found the common cause yet. 

As Chris mentioned above, this is with our Dev team now so hopefully they know why the code was added and will simply remove it and/or put in a check that automatically corrects the value.

All the best, Andrew.

View solution in original post

Replies (5)

Hello Scott,

You're right, rdpendp.dll is the correct DLL.

Was this 2008r2 RDSH box built from scratch or was it from a template?

If it is from a template, can you fire up another box from that template and see what it has set for HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\Winstations\RDP-Tcp\AudioEnumeratorDLL

Eg, is it rdpendp, pnmicsrv or perhaps empty?

If it is not already pnmicsrv.dll, install vWorkspace on it and see if it gets changed again.

For your other farms, can you confirm if any of these were also brand new 8.0 builds or if they've all been upgraded from an older version. If upgrades, what was the starting version ?

Thanks, Andrew.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Andrew,

You may recall that I raised this as an issue with version 7.6 the last time as it was looking up my servers where you assisted me on this support call. I asked the very same question, why or what actually changes this value. While setting the registry value to You were quite interested and between yourself and Rick you were going to follow this up. I believe that there is a TFS number which is 274758 that has been raised.

It seems that this DLL is also an issue in V8.x, the resolution for me was to set the value to RDPENDP.DLL not PNMicSrv.DLL

Cheers

Chris Groothoff

MBITS

Canberra

Australia

Chris, a brand new 8.0 build doesn't give the problem to me - hence needing the extra info from Scott.

It's important to build up the cause. Eg, if this was from a template, perhaps the template had the wrong value or a missing value previously.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

HI Andrew,

Thanks for the feedback. The server was deployed from a template which has been upgraded from an earlier version. I will have another look at the template later today.

Apart from the first few farms I deployed manually, the other farms would have been deployed from the same template (I have sysprepped DC/TS/SG ESXi templates with scripted customisations). Initial Versions are from 7.2 MR1 upwards, through 7.5, 7.6 to 8.0. This is the first time I have encountered this issue. It is no big deal as long as I know what the correct value should be. I was just curious as to how this value was set incorrectly.

--

Follow up

I checked the template and the value was set to PNMicSrv.dll. I have changed this to the correct value.

Scott.

Morning Scott,

Thanks for the update.

I'm trying to figure out what the cause is for randomly setting the value but I haven't found the common cause yet. 

As Chris mentioned above, this is with our Dev team now so hopefully they know why the code was added and will simply remove it and/or put in a check that automatically corrects the value.

All the best, Andrew.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor