pet11
1 Copper

Print-IT Printer allocation

Guys,

wondering if there are any limitations on allocating Print-IT universal printers to clients?

I've tried allocating via IP address and Client Name but can't get the Printers to stick; I know it works because if I assign to User or Group eveything work fine.

I've tried IP Range, ie 172.17.0.104-172.17.0.104 but no good; the Client name also, TC-BC003 which is exactly as it appears in the log for the connected VM.

Clients are 7.1 HP 5730 running WES 2009 connecting to Windows 7 VMWare VM's via Thinshell 2.0.

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Michel Roth
3 Argentium

RE: Print-IT Printer allocation

What if you try a client name wildcard TC* ?

0 Kudos
rmack1
2 Iron

RE: Print-IT Printer allocation

Hi Michel,

I used to think you could just use a wildcard * as well, but firstly it doesn't seem to work, and after I decided to RTFM the admin guide I found it was a bit more explicit:

Define Clients by Device Name


1. Expand the Clients node in the navigation pane of the vWorkspace Management Console.
2. Right-click on the Device Names node, and select New Device Name(s).
3. Click the Device Names tab and enter the device names, separated by a semicolon (;). To enclose a range, use square brackets ([]). For example W2K3-[0-10].
4. Click OK.

I guess the bottom line is that I have always assumed an asterisk would work, but now I'm not at all sure it does.

regards,

Rick

0 Kudos
DELL-Adam Dr
2 Bronze

RE: Print-IT Printer allocation

Peter,  IP address range should work, and for device names, bracketed numeric range and * wildcard should also work.  Note that bracketed numeric range and * wildcard only for matching the rightmost characters of the device name.  Can you attach (or email) a PNShell log where the address range or device name patterns are not working?

0 Kudos
pet11
1 Copper

RE: Print-IT Printer allocation

Adam,

I had Rick looking at this on Friday and did a lot of testing around different options for assigning via User, Device Name and IP address.

The results were User assigned works correctly, the default printer problem was due to a registry key in the user profile interfering with the assingment.

The printer still can't be assigned using either Device Name or IP, the log seems to indicate that the XML isn't even being read although the .old file is available. When using the Device/IP assignment the popup progress doesn't even show.

I've emailed the files for your info, Rick may have forwarded these already...

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos