Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 21st, 2011 09:00

SSL Gateway's virtual or Physical

Hi,

Is there any one how can tell me how many sessions a SSL Gateway can handle? I also like to know what variables influences the performance/number of sessions per gateway.

Tia

74 Posts

February 10th, 2011 09:00

We currently have 2 physical servers running web access + ssl gateway.
Right now we are testing with a virtual server running on vmware, with the same role.

There is absolutely no way the user can tell the difference between the physical and virtual server. In other words, we don't see any added latency or other slow downs running virtual. We don't know how it performance with a lot of sessions, so we keep the 2 physical servers and are going to add the third virtual server to the pool and see what happens.

173 Posts

January 24th, 2011 09:00

I don’t know the exact number. I do know that it depends on session content. So a ts 2003 session with only published notepad would be different from a Win7 Virtual Desktop with all the bells, whistles, Flash, USB and MM redirection…

I think the right thing to do is to perform your own loadtest. Use something like LoginVSI.

35 Posts

January 30th, 2011 13:00

In a test lab with Parallels Virutozzo  on top on VMware and the sslproxy being on another VZ/VMware combo than the VDI the latency was unacceptable. I'm going to put redundant SSL proxies on physical boxes.

98 Posts

January 30th, 2011 16:00

I've been running my Secure-IT gateway on a VM and we have had some issues with lag on the clients but are trying to identify if the issue is related to the EOP or not.  Our Actual Gateway server is idling with very little utilziation on disk or memory, but we are only running about 60 users through it right now for testing.

35 Posts

January 31st, 2011 19:00

I should be able to test in 1-2 days SSL on physical vs virtual.

February 3rd, 2011 17:00

Mark, Laurens,

Thank you for your answers. I’m very curious about the test results.

A sales guy from quest told me that all the Quest components could be installed on a virtual box. Well probably it will work but will it perform? But that's in a sales world

I read somewhere that  one SSL Gateway could handle approximately 2000 sessions.

That is a little bit too ambitious I think. The answers should be somewhere between 0 and 2000 I think. If there is anyone who tested this and has some numbers from the field I would be very grateful if you want to share it with me.

Thank you for your answers. I’m very curious about the test results.

No Events found!