Highlighted
sgravel
1 Nickel

Seeking alternative to "Remote Control Session..." for our users with Win7 VMs

Hi all,

We're a relatively new vWorkspace customer, in the middle of a small scale pilot.   From what I have read, the option in the management console to "Remote Control Session..." does not work on Vista and later.  Our VMs are all Windows 7, and I have witnessed that this option in fact does not work.  We publish entire desktops as Managed Applications.

We've used Offer Remote Assistance for some time now with our physical desktops.  We were thinking we'd use it in this instance as well, given that the remote control option is not there for Windows 7.  The problem arises in that some of these new users have multiple monitors on their client machines, and also within their vWorkspace sessions.  Even from a help desk system with multiple monitors, Offer Remote Assistance displays the remote user's two monitors as very squished side by side displays in one Remote Assistance window on one monitor.

Will vWorkspace offer the option to remote control Windows 7 sessions in the future, and if so, will it suffer from the same problem?

Does anybody have another reasonably low cost, low maintenance solution to this issue that they would like to share?

Thanks!

Steve

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

RE: Seeking alternative to "Remote Control Session..." for our users with Win7 VMs

Steve, I just tested this and it worked fine.  See the screenshot below.  I opened a Session on 2008 R2 RD Session Host, opened the vWorkspace Management Console, right clicked on an active Windows 7 Ultimate Session -> Remote Control -> Switched to the Win7 desktop and accepted the request.

2008RDSH_ShadowingWin7Ultimate.jpg

0 Kudos
sgravel
1 Nickel

RE: Seeking alternative to "Remote Control Session..." for our users with Win7 VMs

Interesting.  I was basing my assumptions on the release notes:

Remote Control is only supported with Windows XP and Windows 2003 (in any combination of Access Device or Virtual Desktop). While the platform support is unchanged from vWorkspace 7.0, this feature is now required to be enabled in the vWorkspace Console through the RDP Remote Administration Control option, on the RDP Connections Restrictions menu item under Locations Properties. Remote Control remains unsupported on all other Windows Operating Systems.

And what I see when I try to establish remote control:

rc error.png

The account I am using is defined as an administrator in vWorkspace, with the right to remote control computers in this group.  I've also set the option to allow remote control as described above.  I will need to keep digging now that I know it is possible, even if unsupported.  Thanks

0 Kudos
pet11
1 Copper

Steve,

Having the same problem, can't access the Remote Control item as its grayed out.

Running 7.1MR1 on Windows 7 VM's.

Currently use Altiris Remote to access the thin clients directly but the remote would be nice...

Peter

0 Kudos

Peter, if Remote Control is greyed out the most common configuration setting is to "Enable RDP Remote Administration Control" in the properties of the Locations node.

EnableRemoteControl.jpg

The next things to check would be if you are running the vWorkspace Management Console from a Terminal Server Session (required for Remote Control), that the user being shadowed has an active session and that the Administrator has been properly delegated the Remote Control permission in vWorkspace.

0 Kudos
sgravel
1 Nickel

Peter - My option is not grayed out.  I can attempt the connection, but get the error in the screenshot I posted when I do.

Patrick - Thanks for enumerating the pitfalls.  I've got all of those items covered, but the problems persist.  Maybe I will intall just the management console on another machine, RDP into it, and try a remote control session from there.  Maybe it's something to do with the broker I am attempting to remote control from.

0 Kudos

Steve, do you have any GPOs that prevent remote control?  To see if it's vWorkspace related or not, try logging onto a server via mstsc, then try using the shadow.exe cmd line utility to remote control the session on another TS, virtual or physical desktop.

sgravel
1 Nickel

No GPOs preventing this, but trying shadow.exe led me to an error that I could research - Error [120]:This function is not supported on this system.

That in turn yielded this (both shadower and shadowee use multiple monitors):

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2rds/thread/4d06278f-e0f4-4f8e-a8...

I have made some further research and discussions on the issue. It is currently confirmed that the Remote Control (Shadow) doesn’t support multi-monitor mode. In such a case, the “Access is denied” doesn’t mean permission insufficient, but inaccessible feature in the current mode.

In the same environment, when you use the command-line shadow <SessionID> instead of UI, you will get the accurate error message as below:

Error [120]: This function is not supported on this system.

If there is any further update on this issue, I will follow up here and inform you.

Again, I very much appreciate your patience and cooperation. Good holiday!

·         Lionel Chen

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfd@microsoft.com

If Quest is getting the remote control done via the native Microsoft shadowing capability, that would explain my problem.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Steve

0 Kudos