Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 1st, 2011 16:00

Shortcuts in Desktop or Start Menu not created

Hi,

We are using vWorkspace 7.2. and AppPortal to access applications on 2003 TS in seamless window mode. All published applications are accessed from fat client or VDI computers. When I assign an application to vWorkspace Folder the icon appears properly in AppPortal. Problem starts when I assign the same application to "Remote Desktop Folders", in that case no entries are created, neither in Desktop nor Start Menu or any other option. When I change AppPortal to work in desktop integrated mode then all entries are created properly.

There is already a ticket about this at Quest support (CaseID:887952). After many hours of phone calls the support technician explained that what I need is only available when full TS desktop are published. I find this hard to belief as I did the same thing easely with other 3rd party connection broker software. What is your experience, did you get "Remote Desktop Folder" working without providing full TS desktops?

Best regards,

Adrian Tonina

28 Posts

February 1st, 2011 21:00

Adrian,

AppPortal is designed to run on your end-user client computer, and is capable of showing shortcuts within its UI or on the client desktop when run in desktop integrate (DI) mode.  When run in DI mode, only applications that are designated for desktop integration will have shortcuts created on the client desktop/start menu.  You can specify this in the properties for a managed application, Desktop Integration step.  Note that only applications that are assigned to vWorkspace Connector Folders will be created through AppPortal.

Applications that are assigned to Standard and Custom Remote Desktop Folders are created through our Shell configuration module (pnshell), and their shortcuts are created on the remote desktops (TS or VDI).  If configured properly, you will see them on a remote session's full desktop.

-Adam

February 2nd, 2011 06:00

Thanks for the explanation Adam.

That means it is not possible to have a mix between shortcuts in AppPortal UI and shortcuts for example on client Desktop at the same time?

I think I understand now how Remote Desktop Folder works, though I do not really the see the use case here. To me it more looks like an complicated way to create Start Menu and Desktop shortcuts on Remote Desktop Connections.

Adrian

101 Posts

February 2nd, 2011 07:00

Hi Adrian,

The use case for remote desktop folders is actually very powerful.  I call it "dynamic start menu" or “dynamic desktop”.  It allows you to have less virtual desktop templates and/or standardise on a single RDSH build.  This is because we can build up profiles for users based on Active Directory user, group, OU or even what device or subnet they are connecting from and based upon this they are presented the relevant applications to them.  As an example a user is from the accounts department, they login to their desktop and get their accounts applications presented in the start menu or desktop, whereas a user in the sales department logs into the same RDSH server or virtual desktop and gets their applications.  This can be taken a step further by assigning the printers or mapping network drives too.  Or maybe you want to lock down (user polices) the desktop more for users in one group than another etc.

These applications do not have to be installed applications on the template they could also be virtualised applications such as App-v.  If you coupled this with another Quest product, Active Roles Server you can automate user provisioning or if the user moves job roles.  What is also really cool is you could then have a self-service portal for users requesting new applications and rather than IT handling all this an e-mail goes to the users manager they authorise the request and when the user next logs in they get the new application..

Paul

92 Posts

July 7th, 2015 11:00

Paul,

Sorry to resurrect this topic, but I have a question about Remote Desktop Folders.

I want to provide an Icon of a URL on the desktop of our VDI, so I created a Manage Application with the type of Content and Launch content on: Server. I then created the Target Assignment to a Device Address and then selected Desktop under the "Standard Remote Desktop Folders" section.

Now I use AppPortal and connect to the VDI pool from a device not in the Device Address scope and the Icon URL does not show, so that worked. Logged off VDI and then I connect to the VDI from a device in the Device Address scope and the Icon URL shows, like it should. So far so good. Logged off VDI and now I connect to the VDI from a device NOT in the Device Address scope and the Icon URL shows when it should not.

I have roaming profiles and it looks like the Icon is getting created on my desktop and then not being removed. Is this how it's supposed to work? I'm hoping that the Icon should only be shown if you come from a device in the scope of the Device Address Target.

Thanks,

-Greg

101 Posts

July 8th, 2015 06:00

Hi Greg,

Try applying Additional Customisations under the User Environment Management and use the options to delete pre existing shotcut items. e.g. Desktop, Start menu and quick launch.

Regards

Paul

No Events found!