Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 7th, 2010 21:00

VM HOST (Load) column quick question

In the management console one of the viewable columns for a desktop pool is VM HOST (Load)..

vmhostload.png

Is this the VM's load or the load on the hypervisor?

I have been assuming it's the load of the hypervisor but now I've given myself doubt and think it could be the VM

Dan.

28 Posts

October 8th, 2010 13:00

Daniel, just to be clear, it reports the overall load on the host on which that VM resides - not the load that the individual VM imposes on the host.  So for multiple VMs on the same host you'll see the same load value.

-Adam

180 Posts

October 8th, 2010 08:00

Cheers David,

I'll mark you as correct for now

173 Posts

It does report the load of the host. From this blog post: http://blogs.inside.quest.com/provision/2010/04/29/resource-based-load-balancing-for-hyper-v-hosts/

Resource Based Load Balancing for Hyper-V Hosts. This allows users to be directed to the least busy Hyper-V host at connect time so that customer can make the most of their hardware. When you want to enable Resource Based Load Balancing for Hyper-V Hosts in vWorkspace 7.1 you have to created a new Load Evaluator. vWorkspace 7.1 introduces two new additional properties that you can use to create the perfect load evaluator designed specifically for Hyper-V hosts:

Once you have created the perfect load evaluator, for example one that takes the number of Powered-On Virtual Machines into account, the CPU usage and the Memory usage, you need to assign it to a SCVMM hosted Managed Computer Group as shown below:

As an added bonus, the vWorkspace Management Console has an extra column called “VM Host (load)  (did you know you can customize the column and sorting of the vWorkspace Management Console?)  that you can add that shows you the current load of  host based of the Load Evaluator that you assigned. This is what it looks like:

228 Posts

Dan, I believe this reports the load of the VM on the host and not the load of the hypervisor

180 Posts

October 8th, 2010 14:00

Cheers for clarifying guys.

Dan.

No Events found!