- Up to four 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors
with up to 28 cores per processor
- DIMM Speed
Up to 2933MT/s
DCPMM (Intel® Optane™ DC persistent memory)
Memory Module Slots
48 DDR4 DIMM slots (12 NVDIMM or 24 DCPMM slots)
Supports registered ECC DDR4 DIMMs only
DCPMM 12.28TB (15.36 with LRDIMM)
- Internal Controllers
PERC H730P, H740P, H330, HBA330
External HBAs (non-RAID)
12Gbps SAS HBA
External PERC (RAID)
Boot Optimized Storage Subsystem
HWRAID 2 x M.2 SSDs 240GB or 480GB
- 1100W 48VDC Gold
1100W 380VDC Platinum
Hot plug power supplies with full redundancy option
Up to 8 hot plugs fans with full redundancy
Dimensions & Weight
*Dimensions do not include bezel
- Optional LCD bezel or security bezel
- Cryptographically signed firmware
Silicon Root of Trust
System Lockdown (requires OpenManage Enterprise)
TPM 1.2/2.0, TCM 2.0 optional
I/O and Ports
- Network Options
4 x 1GbE
4 x 10GbE,
2 x 10GbE + 2x 1GE
2 x 25GbE
1 x Dedicated iDRAC direct USB
2 x USB 3.0
1 x Video
1 x Dedicated iDRAC network port
1 x Serial
2 x USB 3.0
Supported Operating Systems
- Canonical® Ubuntu® Server LTS
Microsoft® Windows Server® LTSC with Hyper-V
Red Hat® Enterprise Linux
SUSE® Linux Enterprise Server
- Choose Dell ProSupport Plus for critical systems or Dell ProSupport for premium hardware and software support for your PowerEdge solution. Consulting and deployment offerings are also available. Contact your Dell representative today for more information. Availability and terms of Dell Services vary by region.
- Front Bays
Up to 24 x 2.5” drives with up to 12NVMe PCie SSDs max 184.32TB
13 x Gen3 slots (3 x 8 slots + 10x 16 slots)
1 x VGA
- Embedded / At-the-Server
iDRAC RESTful API with Redfish
Intel® Active Management Technology 12.0
Intel® Standard Manageability
Quick Sync 2 BLE/wireless module
OpenManage Power Center
Dell EMC RACADM CLI
Dell EMC Repository Manager
Dell EMC System Update
Dell EMC Server Update Utility
Dell EMC Update Catalogs
iDRAC Service Module
OpenManage Server Administrator
OpenManage Storage Services
Microsoft® System Center
Red Hat Ansible Modules
IBM Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus
Micro Focus Operations Manager I
- ReadyRails™ sliding rails with optional cable management arm for 4-post racks (optional adapter brackets required for threaded hole racks).
Maximize application performance and eliminate I/O bottlenecksEmpower your organization to make the best decisions fast using real-time data and analytics. The PowerEdge R940 supports 50% more NVMe drives than the R930, up to 48 DIMMs (24 of which can be Intel® Optane™ DC persistent memory DCPMMs) and up to 15.36TB of memory*. Make I/O bottlenecks a thing of the past and keep processor utilization at its peak.
- In-memory and large, complex databases
- Unix to Linux migration
- ERP, CRM
- Dense virtualization
Transform IT with Dell EMC PowerEdgeThe R940 is the foundation to transform your data center with modern applications for real-time data and analytics. Its massive resource footprint optimizes application performance and scales to meet your organization’s demands.
- Maximize storage performance with up to 12 NVMe drives and ensure application performance scales easily.
- Scale compute resources with 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors and tailor performance based on your unique workload requirements.
- Drive data-intensive workloads like SQL and SAP HANA databases with Intel Optane DC persistent memory.
- Expand with up to 13 PCIe Gen 3 slots.
Automate productivity with intelligent, embedded managementDell EMC automation and intelligent management mean you spend less time on routine maintenance so you can focus on bigger priorities.
- Help maximize uptime and reduce the IT effort to resolve issues by up to 72%* with ProSupport Plus and SupportAssist.
- Leverage existing management consoles with easy integrations for VMware® vSphere®, Microsoft® System Center and Nagios®.
- Improve productivity with agent-free Dell iDRAC9 for automated, efficient management.
- Simplify deployment with OpenManage next-generation console and server profiles to fully configure and prep servers in rapid, scalable fashion.
Fortify your data center with comprehensive protection
- Protect server configuration and firmware from malicious changes with new Configuration Lock-down.
- Use system erase of local storage to help ensure data privacy when you repurpose or retire servers.
- Automate updates that check file dependencies and proper update sequence, before deploying them independently from the OS/hypervisor.
- Take control of your firmware consoles with embedded authentication that is designed to allow only properly designed updates to run.