Those who know me know my passion for cars. And when I heard the Dell Streak was going to make an appearance at this year’s SEMA show, I had to blog about it. If you’re unfamiliar with SEMA, it’s known as one of the world’s premier automotive specialty products trade shows. It’s literally THE place to be to see the industry’s hottest automotive products in one place, and hosted by none other than the city of Las Vegas. The SEMA show is known to attract more than 100,000 industry leaders from over a 100 countries. As you can imagine, this is like CES for the automotive industry.
So, what’s taking place?
At the event, Dell announced a collaborative project with Clemson University-International Center for Automotive Research graduate students and staff. Dell’s Engineering Solutions team and Clemson are talking about a new infotainment application utilizing the Dell Streak in a hybrid concept car. As you’ll see from the pictures taken from within the vehicle, the Dell Streak attaches to a docking station to serve as the dashboard monitor, replacing the traditional dedicated built-in radio and navigation system. The application allows the Streak to sync with the car to display data such as fuel range and battery life, and uses cloud technology to provide a complete infotainment system to display music and navigation options.
Hearing about the Dell Streak for the first time? If that’s the case let me give you a quick run through on why it’s so unique. Size matters – the Streak’s uniqueness really is its size, and is the best 5” tablet on the market that fits your whole world in a 5-inch screen…and most importantly ‘in’ your pocket. Designed for who you ask? Well, Dell built the Streak to be the best on-the-go entertainment, social connection and navigation experience, in a pocket-friendly size.
And, the features…Here you go:
- 5” pocket Tablet for easy portability
- Comes with Android 1.6, and will receive 2.2 as an over the air update later this year
- 5” Gorilla glass display creates a high quality damage resistant display
- Fast processing power with 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor
- Two cameras allow users the flexibility to capture the moment by photo or video chat
- Integrated A-GPS and e-compass enables Location-Based Services (LBS) applications for personal navigation w/real time maps
- If you want to learn more about the product, be sure to check out Dell Streak product page for more information. Otherwise, you can read Dell’s Lionel’s Streak overview post, or see out what others are saying on Twitter via the #dellstreak hashtag.
And here’s the extended version of the new Dell Streak commercial that began airing this weekend.