Update (January 15, 2011): To centralize the conversation, I’m closing the comment threads on earlier Dell Streak blog posts. If you would like to comment or ask questions regarding #dellstreak, please see the latest Dell Streak blog post.
Based on the strength of the number of pre-sales registrations for Dell Streak, we know there’s a lot of you out there in the United States and beyond who are excited about the device. You’ve made Dell Streak the most successful pre-sale we’ve ever offered, and we appreciate that. As I’ve mentioned before, in my 16 years at Dell, I’ve not seen (or heard) this level of buzz around a Dell product. Thanks to each of you for that.
We know many of you have been waiting for more details about Dell Streak. I’ll share those when I can. There are many pieces that need to fall into place to release a product like this, and the reality that we need more time to work out some things before we can share the details that many of you are waiting for.
That said, there are a few points I can clarify now:
- At this point, we do not have plans for supporting T-Mobile’s 3G network; Dell Streak will not be certified for T-Mobile operation overall.
- Like I mentioned in my previous Dell Streak post, the Android 2.2 over the air update (Froyo) will come later this year. We will ship Dell Streak with Android 1.6.
- Carbon Black is the color that will be available at the US launch. New Cherry Red will be the next color that we’ll offer. I don’t have an ETA for New Cherry Red at this time, but it will be coming soon.
We will continue to offer the pre-sale to customers in the United States this week at Dell.com/mobile. Clicking on the image below will take you to the Dell Streak pre-sale page. See my post from last week for a bit more clarification on how the process works. See our latest tablets here.
I confirmed a few other #dellstreak pre-sale things via Twitter last week:
- That Streak accessories will be part of the pre-sale for customers who register.
- You will be able to upgrade to Next Day shipping from the second-day shipping you will already receive for taking part in the pre-sale.
- The email you will receive soon will have both a unique order code + the coupon code for the 99 cent Plantronics Bluetooth headset.
And if you’d rather watch a video, here’s one of Kevin Andrew from the Dell Streak development team. He discusses these things in a bit more detail. On a side note, we did not realize that the close up shot of the Dell Streak running eclair did not show up clearly until after we had finished. I asked Kevin to take a picture of it. That picture is underneath the video.