Launched this year at EMC World 2016, the EMC Modern Customer Experience is transforming every aspect of the EMC customer experience. Combining EMC’s Big Data expertise, industry-leading technology, and award-winning service and support teams, EMC is working hard to rewrite the rules that have traditionally governed the customer experience. 24×7 predictive monitoring, advanced proactive service delivery, interactive data driven insight, an optimized online support experience, and more, are delivering greater value, while reducing costs and risk, ultimately maximizing the investment in EMC solutions.
That’s the marketing pitch at least, but it’s 100% true. There has never been a better time to be an EMC customer, and the future is even brighter.
ESRS v3 Update for August 2016 – Some of Our Most Customer Requested Features
One thing that we love to wear on our sleeves, is our commitment to working closely with our customers to make sure that we’re giving them the right tools and resources that best enable them to do what they do, better.
And of course the best expression of that commitment are the new features and other enhancements that are a direct result of customer feedback.
This month, we’ve already seen some new updates on the Online Support and MyService360 front, that showcase the power EMC customers have to shape and develop the EMC Modern Customer Experience. But this month (and next – stay tuned!) also introduces some fantastic things for ESRS v3 – things that are among our most customer-requested ESRS v3 features!
ESRS v3 "Docker Edition"
Many IT administrators love the idea of ESRS v3, but they either can’t or don’t want to implement it within a Virtual Environment. One key reason is security. If a Virtual Environment is hacked, the hacked has access to the entire system that the VE is being run on. For this reason, many IT admins have told us that they’d love to be able to implement ESRS in environments that given them greater control and security.
ESRS v3 now has two install options:
- The traditional Virtual Edition that offers IT admins the ability to implement ESRS v3 without the need for additional hardware or OS licenses
- The brand new Docker Edition that offers IT admins the ability to implement ESRS v3 within any Docker-compatible Linux host (that meets ESRS v3 requirements).
Why the New ESRS v3 "Docker Edition" Is Cool:
- IT admins have greater choice in regards to how and where then ESRS v3
- IT admins can have full control over the installation of host system updates
- Greater security: if a hacker breaches security measures, they’ll only have access to the isolated Docker container
Managed File Transfer (MFT) 3.0
Think of ESRS as a data ‘pipe’. It’s through this pipe that EMC is able to collect the data and information that we use to capture data for tools like MyService360, alerts for our service and support teams, 24×7 predictive wellness analysis, and how we gain the needed data-driven insight to enable our sales teams and account managers to better serve their customers. It’s also through the ESRS v3 ‘pipe’ that we’re able to securely connect-in to our customers’ systems to deliver our award-winning support on-site, remotely.
But what ESRS v3 can’t do, is pass larger files like logs and critical code updates back and forth. The pipe just isn’t big enough.
MFT 3.0 solves this problem by creating a companion ‘pipe’ that runs parallel to the ESRS ‘pipe’ (note: ESRS is required for MFT). The MFT pipe’s job is to carry these larger files.
How MFT 3.0 Works With ESRS v3
Why MFT 3.0 Is Cool:
- EMC customers no longer have to submit logs manually via FTP or other means. EMC technicians can now send a remote request to collect the logs themselves.
- Because of logistic challenges it could be difficult to hit slim maintenance windows, and it could take days to coordinate and install a code level update, increasing the risk of running outdated code. MFT 3.0 allows EMC to transition many code update and upgrade engagements from field support to remote support, significantly reducing the impact of these scheduling challenges, and negating the risk of running outdated code.
If you have already implemented ESRS v3 Virtual Edition:
If you want to implement ESRS v3 Docker Edition:
Not sure if ESRS v3 is right for you?
- Look in the mirror and ask yourself if you’d like to take full advantage of all the benefits and value that comes from being an EMC customer (we’ll assume your answer is ‘yes’)
- Take a look at the Top 10 Reasons why ESRS v3 is a cornerstone of the EMC Modern Customer Experience
Ted Weil | firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior Product Marketing Manager
Follow Us @EMCSupport