Communication Service Providers (CoSPs) are undergoing two transformations at the same time: Digital and 5G Transformation.
There is a close interplay between the two transformations for two main reasons:
- The adoption of a new “OTT Like” digital platform multi-side business model directly connecting consumers with producers of goods and services with CoSPs at the center of it.
- The need to adopt four key enabling data-centric platforms (applications, analytics, telco/multi cloud and network) to implement the digital business model.
These two transformations also share a common goal of monetizing the digital business, which comes with challenges:
- Understanding the most profitable digital and 5G services use cases and how to create synergies to maximize revenues
- Understanding how to assemble and deliver services in an agile way, (DevOps and NetOps) to shrink time-to-market (TTM) and time-to-value (TTV)
Despite these challenges, the journey to digital and 5G transformation is entering its maturity phase.
5G is an ensemble of technologies enabling agility for new services and new revenue streams for CoSPs. 5G will allow the monetization of the digital economy enabling new digital services based on the three main 5G groups/use cases (eMBB, mMTC and uRLLC)
5G Uses cases Taxonomy – Image Courtesy 5gamericas.org
This brings us to three fundamental questions that are top-of-mind with CoSPs:
- How can I maximize my ROI with respect to 5G technology?
- Within what timeframe?
- What synergies can be achieved between digital and 5G transformation to maximize ROI?
To maximize 5G ROI in the shortest time possible and exploit synergies with their digital transformation programs, CoSPs must:
- Increase revenues by creating 5G-related services with a high degree of differentiation that customers are willing to buy
- Have a 360 degree analytic, event-driven customer view that uses the CoSP’s data capital in real time
- Have truly agile, horizontal and distributed IT/network platforms that mix-and-match new 5G services with different KPIs, minimizing the final cost to serve
- Adapt their OSS/BSS systems to the new totally-integrated digital service business model
The key ingredient here is flexibility, at every layer (business and technical) and in every place (edge, core, cloud).
However, what are the signs that define a CoSP as flexible? A CoSP is flexible when it:
- Is able to provide services elastically from a totally virtualized environment
- Is able to dynamically provide services with the right security QoS and SLA
- Has a fully automated management platform and is ready to exploit AI to improve automation at all layers
- Has a dynamic service catalog managed in real time by modern OSS/BSS systems able to leverage customer data assets in a predictive /prescriptive way across all telco domains
Dell Technologies is well aware of the challenges that CoSPs must face to monetize their digital opportunities. Inspired by the “better together” approach, Dell Technologies has built a coherent vision as a foundation for CoSP digital and 5G Transformation programs.
Considering these combined visions, you can see how they enable a faster TTM and TTV accelerating the monetization of the entire digital ecosystem.
- We have built validated NFVi solutions based on Dell EMC infrastructure and VMware virtualization platforms with VMware vCloud for NFV and VMware Integrated OpenStack
- We have an end-to-end SD-WAN solution combining the Dell EMC Virtual Edge Platform uCPE with VMware SD-WAN by VeloCloud
- We have end-to-end IoT solutions combining Dell EMC IoT gateways at the edge, the VMware Pulse IoT management platform and a set of partner solutions for specific IoT use cases
- We have integrated a full digital cloud-native stack (Pivotal Ready Architecture) with Dell EMC infrastructure, VMware virtualization platform and Pivotal Cloud Native platform to manage PaaS, CaaS and FaaS
- Dell EMC has built a specialized Telco Analytics platform to enable new telco use cases
- Dell EMC has built pre-integrated Ready Solutions for Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning with our partners Intel and NVIDIA
- Dell EMC, has engineered an auto-consistent edge micro-datacenter to target edge computing (MEC) workloads
Moreover, Dell EMC is a leader in Open Networking, providing the customer unprecedented flexibility in the choice of their network operating system and has a strategic plan to collaborate with selected partners to provide bundled solutions for C-RAN/v-RAN
All these solutions shrink the TTM for new services, anticipating the TTV that is the fundamental principle of monetization. The combination of digital and 5G transformation will enable CoSPs to maximize the monetization of new digital services.
Dell Technologies understands the new telco platform business model, the challenges it brings and is able to help TSPs differentiate their offerings to operate more efficiently, save OPEX, and monetize faster ahead of the competition.
To learn more, please come by our booth and meet our experts at MWC 2019 Barcelona, Hall 3 Stand 3M11; or go here for an update on associated webinars, video series or to schedule an-in person meeting.