Object storage is the intelligent evolution of disk storage — creating, storing and distributing variable-sized data objects, and their associated metadata, rather than simply placing blocks of data on tracks and sectors. Each object has its rich metadata inextricably linked to it, enabling long-term preservation while ensuring data remains safe and accessible over time.
A flat-address-space design removes file-system complexity and the need to manage logical unit numbers (LUNs) and RAID groups.
Automated management, serial ATA- (SATA) and near-line SAS based storage and a modular scaling approach result in low total cost of ownership.
By incorporating metadata into objects, object-based storage enables you to apply preservation, retention and deletion policies — thereby reducing lower management resources — and to facilitate enhanced discovery.
An extremely large number of available addresses means a common storage pool can support literally billions of objects.
Information is only valuable when it can be accessed, but keeping it readily available can be cumbersome and expensive. With the Dell DX Object Storage Platform, you can streamline data management while easily expanding capacity.
Object-based and metadata-aware disk storage lets you identify and retrieve information quickly; better leverage your data for decision-making; automatically manage that data from creation through deletion; and minimize your dependence on complex and sometimes unreliable tape storage.
You can reduce your storage footprint and improve storage utilization and optimization with the DX6000G Storage Compression Node (SCN). This feature can transmit compressed or decompressed data, using policies to intelligently move archived objects based on your need for high compression or fast rehydration.
The Dell DX Object Storage Platform is also supported by a large and ever-growing number of independent software vendors (ISVs) who can help maximize your investment with a common object-storage pool for multiple applications.
Dell is developing integrations with partners in areas such as medical archiving, file, email and SharePoint archiving, as well as eDiscovery, enterprise content management and cloud storage spaces. Information for ISV partners who would like to be a part of this program can be found here.
• Massively expand your system — scaling in amounts as small as 2TB up to multiple petabytes and billions of objects — without the complexity or limitations of a traditional file system.
• Flexible, peer-scaling architecture enables you to scale at your own pace, ensuring a perfect balance between capacity and output.
• Cloud enabling DX Object Storage enables users to build a digital content cloud that can be leveraged across an organization for governance, discovery and business intelligence.
• Multitenancy with named objects enables customers to store and retrieve objects using a single name. As a result, it means that DX Object Storage can support multitenancy, which is the ability to separate data from different users on one big pool of storage, maintaining access to different sets (domains and buckets) of data by only certain users. This is a technology that is appealing to cloud storage providers and users who are looking to implement private clouds in their organization.
• Transparent read cache DX nodes can cache frequently read objects in memory using a configurable amount of RAM leading to greatly reduced latency in providing data to the user. This provides improved performance for accessing content that is in high demand — similar to how content delivery networks operate.
• Foundational storage tier provides access to unstructured data for multiple applications — securing data in one place for risk and cost management, and enabling enhanced discovery and decision-making capabilities.
DX Object Storage can help cut storage costs versus traditional performance storage methods, allowing you to affordably store and access your digital content without locking yourself into a costly, inflexible strategy.
Storage Simplification Workshop
Understand the potential
|Backup, recovery & archiving assessment |
Make informed decisions
Lay the path for success
Capture the value
Add the products you would like to compare, and quickly determine which is best for your needs.