Enterprise Content Server
Deliver fast response times and help maximize uptime for streaming media and other data-intensive workloads in a high-capacity 2U design.
- Up to two Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors, up to 22 cores each
- Canonical® Ubuntu® LTS
Microsoft Windows Server® with Hyper-V
Red Hat® Enterprise Linux
SUSE® Linux Enterprise Server
For specifications and interoperability details see Dell.com/OSsupport
- 16 DDR4 RDIMM slots, up to 2666MT/s, 512GB max
Supports registered ECC DDR4 DIMMs only
- Internal Controllers:
PERC H730P, H330, Software RAID (SWRAID) S140
Boot Optimized Storage Subsystem:
HWRAID 2 x M.2 SSDs 240GB or 480GB
12Gbps SAS HBAs (non-RAID):
Internal- HBA330 (non-RAID)
- Front drive bays:
Up to 24 x 3.5” SAS/ SATA (HDD) max 336TB, or up 16 x 3.5” SAS/SATA (HDD) plus up to 8 x 2.5” SAS/SATA (SSD) max 285.44TB
Rear drive bays:
Up to 2 x 3.5” SAS/ SATA (HDD) max 28TB or up to 2 x 2.5” SAS/SATA (SSD) drives max 15.36TB
Note 2.5” drives use hybrid carrier to fit in 3.5” drive bay.
- Form factor: Rack (2U)
Chassis Width: 448mm*
Chassis Depth: 810mm*
Chassis Weight: 40kg
*These metrics do not include the PSU handle, rack latches or the bezel.
- Optional security bezel
- TPM 1.2/2.0, TCM 2.0 optional
Cryptographically signed firmware
Silicon Root of Trust
System Lockdown (requires OpenManage Enterprise)
I/O and Ports
- Networking Options:
2 x1GbE BaseT LOM + (optional LOM riser) 2 x 1Gb BaseT or 2 x10GbE SFP+ or 2x 10GbE BaseT or 2x 25GbE SFP+
1 x USB 3.0, 1 managed (micro-usb), dedicated IDRAC Direct USB.
Video, serial, iDRAC dedicated LAN, 2 x USB 3.0
1 x USB 3.0
Up to 5 x Gen3 slots (x16)
- Platinum: 750W or 1100W
HVDC: 750W or 1100W
Hot plug power supplies with full redundancy option
6 fans with N +1 redundancy
- Embedded / At-the-Server
iDRAC9 with Lifecycle Controller
iDRAC RESTful API with Redfish
OpenManage Power Center
iDRAC Service Module
OpenManage Server Administrator
Dell EMC Repository Manager
Dell EMC System Update
Dell EMC Server Update Utility
Dell EMC Update Catalogs
Dell EMC RACADM CLI IPMI Tool
Microsoft® System Center
BMC Truesight (available from BMC)
Red Hat Ansible
Nagios Core & Nagios XI
Micro Focus Operations Manager i (OMi)
IBM Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus
Respond effectively to data growthThe Dell EMC PowerEdge R740xd2 helps you plan for future growth with large internal storage and cost-efficient drive capacities. Deliver two-socket compute performance with flash and fast networking options to meet streaming demands. Simplify management of large data sets with automated administration and front-serviceable drives. The R740xd2 lets you keep your data safely on-premise with built-in security, even as you scale capacity.
- Video surveillance
- Content delivery network (CDN)
- Microsoft Storage Spaces (S2D) and vSAN
- Microsoft Exchange
Bring compute closer to storageThe R740xd2 addresses increasing capacity and business demands with flexible storage and performance resources in a space-saving design.
- Scale up to 26 3.5” drives (364TB) in a 2U rack server and scale out up to 520 3.5” drives (7.2PB) in a 42U rack.
- Deliver two-socket performance with up to two Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors and up to 44 cores.
- Tier data with a combination of 2.5” SSDs and 3.5” HDDs in a hybrid configuration*.
- Help eliminate bottlenecks with fast networking options and up to 16 DIMMS of memory.
- Easily expand with up to 5 PCIe slots.
Streamline management across your data centerReduce the time required to manage mid-to-large scale environments.
- Automate and unify server and internal storage management across your PowerEdge infrastructure with OpenManage Enterprise.
- Rapidly deploy configurations matching unique workload requirements on multiple bare-metal servers.
- Provide full lifecycle management including health status, firmware updates and automated issue resolution.
- Use OpenManage Integrations to manage within VMware vCenter, Microsoft System Center, and BMC Truesight.
- Easily deploy OpenManage Ansible Modules utilizing Red Hat Ansible.
Deliver uptime and data securityFortify server operations with high availability features and a cyber-resilient architecture. Easily protect, detect and recover from cyber attacks with layers of security embedded in every server.
- Minimize disruptions with 24 front-serviceable, hot-swappable, validated drives that offer enterprise-class reliability and extensive warranty options.
- Protect your data or media from theft or unauthorized access with secure passwords, alerts and event logging.
- Help ensure that only authenticated, signed firmware is running on the server including storage drives and RAID controllers.