Flexible and efficient modular server
Deliver scalability and high density with a 2-socket, half-height modular blade server ideal for HPC, XaaS and virtualization.
High-performance modular compute with industry-leading densityEffectively meet dynamic business needs with the PowerEdge M640. This modular blade server is designed to scale out and enable increased performance – all inside a PowerEdge VRTX chassis. Get up to 16 2nd generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processor dual-socket compute nodes in a single chassis. The M640 is an outstanding match for data center workloads that benefit from high density and power efficiency, and for multi-server and clustered architectures.
- High-performance computing (HPC)
- Anything as a service (Xaas)
- Private cloud/On-premises
Speed IT transformation with the PowerEdge portfolioTake the next step to modernize your data center with this modular compute platform. The PowerEdge M640 is a modular blade server built on a scalable business architecture that offers you choice and flexibility to meet performance demands easily.
- Scale compute resources with Intel® 2nd Generation Xeon® Scalable processors.
- Gain exceptional flexibility with a universal backplane and a choice of 2 x M.2 (BOSS) or dual SD cards.
- Maximize storage with 16 DDR4 DIMM slots and support up to 1024GB maximum memory.
Automate productivity with intelligent, embedded managementDell EMC OpenManage intelligent automation enables you to spend less time on routine maintenance so you can focus on business-critical priorities.
- Help maximize uptime and reduce the IT effort to resolve issues by up to 72%* with ProSupport Plus and SupportAssist.
- Leverage existing management consoles with easy integrations for VMware® vSphere®, Microsoft® System Center and Nagios®.
- Improve productivity with agent-free Dell EMC iDRAC9 for automated management.
- Simplify deployment with OpenManage next-generation console and server profiles to configure and prep servers rapidly and scalably.
Fortify your servers with integrated securityA comprehensive, cyber-resilient architecture with security embedded into every server helps to protect your data.
- Protect server configuration and firmware from malicious changes with new Configuration Lock-down.
- Use system erase of local storage to help ensure data privacy when you repurpose or retire servers.
- Automate updates that check file dependencies and proper update sequence, before deploying them independently from the OS/hypervisor.
- Take control of your firmware consoles with embedded authentication that is designed to allow only properly signed updates to run.
Dell Technologies offers complete end-to-end services
ProSupport Enterprise SuiteGain the freedom to focus on your business transformation with the support expertise and insights Dell Technologies is known for across the globe. Choose the right support based on the criticality of specific systems with available automated predictive analysis, collaborative third-party assistance and service account management.
ProDeployProDeploy Enterprise Suite helps you get more out of technology starting on day one. Trust our experts to lead deployments from basic hardware installations through planning, configuration and complex integrations. Our complete suite of deployment services and professional certifications helps you achieve business outcomes today and tomorrow.
Training & CertificationEducation Services offers an expansive suite of training services with multiple delivery methods, including instructor-led, self-paced online and virtual instructor-led training. With comprehensive and flexible training programs, we make it easy to ensure your staff has the skills they need to successfully manage and utilize your new technology to its full potential.
ConsultingConsulting services give expert guidance to help you grow, optimize and transform your IT environment at your own pace and budget. We employ a broad range of certified consultants and engineers, backed by program management teams, who can deliver deep technical expertise. We give you the confidence that your project will be done right and on time.
Financing and leasingAcquiring the latest IT solutions shouldn’t be as complicated as running your business. With Dell Financial Services you can finance and purchase in the same place*. It’s quick, it’s easy and most important, it lets you keep the “flow” in your cash flow.
- Up to two Intel® 2nd Generation Xeon® Scalable processors with up to 28 cores per processor
- Canonical® Ubuntu® Server LTS
Microsoft® Windows Server®
Microsoft® Windows Server® with Hyper-V
Red Hat® Enterprise Linux
SUSE® Linux Enterprise Server
- DIMM Speed
Up to 2933MT/s
Memory Module Slots
16 DIMM slots (6 channels with 2 DPC / 1DPC / 1DPC)
- Front Bays
Up to 2 x 2.5" SAS/SATA (HDD/SSD) max 12.8TB
- Internal controllers:
PERC9 H330, H730p, H740p, H840
Internal Dual SD Module (optional)
Boot Optimized Storage Subsystem (BOSS):
HWRAID 2 x M.2 SSDs 240GB, 480GB
- Cryptographically signed firmware
System Lockdown (requires OpenManage Enterprise)
- Embedded / At-the-Server
Chassis Management Controller (CMC)
iDRAC RESTful API with Redfish
OpenManage Power Center
Dell EMC Repository Manager
Dell EMC System Update
Dell EMC Server Update Utility
Dell EMC Update Catalogs
OpenManage Server Administrator
OpenManage Storage Services
iDRAC Service Module
Microsoft® System Center
Micro Focus® Operations Manager I
Nagios® Core &
- M640 (VRTX chassis)
4 Hot plug fans with N+1 redundancy
See PowerEdge VRTX chassis specification
- Network Options
2 x 10GE + 4 X 1GE
4 x 10GE
1 x Power button
1 x System ID / Status LED
1 x USB 2.0 MicroAB port with iDRAC management function
1 x USB 3.0 port
See PowerEdge VRTX chassis specification
8 x Gen3 low-profile cards for VRTX
5 x Low profile, half-length x8 PCIe Gen2 cards for VRTX
3 x Standard height, full-length x8 PCIe Gen2 cards for VRTX
1 x VGA controller integrated with iDRAC
- See PowerEdge VRTX chassis specification
- 2-socket Modular Blade Server
Dimensions & Weight
6.4 kg (14.11 lbs.)
- Choose Dell ProSupport Plus for critical systems or Dell ProSupport for premium hardware and software support for your PowerEdge solution. Consulting and deployment offerings are also available. Contact your Dell representative today for more information. Availability and terms of Dell Services vary by region.