Feature-rich, highly efficient, modular server
A flexible two-socket, single-width sled server ideal for dense compute. Designed for virtualization, software-defined storage, HCI, and big data.
Building blocks for the modern data centerOptimized for Dell EMC’s PowerEdge MX kinetic infrastructure ecosystem, the PowerEdge MX740c server, with dense compute, large memory capacity and rich set of storage subsystem options, delivers the flexibility and agility needed in today’s software-defined data centers.
- Single-width; up to eight sleds per PowerEdge MX7000 chassis.
- One or two, up to 28-core 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors per sled, up to 448 cores per chassis.
- Up to 24 DDR4 DIMMs slots, 3TB max memory and speeds up to 2933MT/s; up to 192 DIMMS per chassis for up to 24.5TB max memory.
- Supports up to 12 slots for Intel® Optane™ DC persistent memory DCPMM (6.1TB) with a maximum total capacity of 7.68TB per server.
- Up to six 2.5" drive bays for SAS/SATA (HDD/SDD) and NVMe PCIe SSD support plus optional M.2 boot.
Dynamically provision to maximize workload performance and drive efficient infrastructureDisaggregate and granularly reassign resources with the PowerEdge MX architecture to maximize utilization and minimize overprovisioning and stranded infrastructure. PowerEdge MX740c fully configurable, no compromise compute provides impressive performance in compact customizable configurations for workload optimization.
- Scale compute resources with second-generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors and tailor performance based on your unique workload requirements.
- Flexible memory configurations from capacities of 8GB to 3TB; RDIMMs and LRDIMMs for reduced memory loading and greater density.
- High performance Express Flash NVMe PCIe SSD delivers exceptional endurance in demanding enterprise environments.
Intelligently automate to accelerate operations and effectivenessDeploy and provision PowerEdge MX servers faster and automate daily operations with agent-free lifecycle management. Unify and simplify management of compute, storage and fabric with Dell EMC OpenManage Enterprise – Modular Edition within the MX7000 chassis.
- Up to four times more performance with integrated Dell Remote Access Controller 9 (iDRAC9) for easy lifecycle management from deploy to retirement*.
- Sixteen fewer steps and 30% time savings to perform basic server setup using Android or Apple mobile device with Quick Sync 2* .
- Full Lifecycle Management of more than 5,000 nodes within 611 chassis over 7 continents simultaneously on a single OpenManage Enterprise console* .
Future-proof infrastructure to avoid technology and architectural disruptionDesigned to support future generations of compute sleds regardless of processor/chipset architecture and I/O needs, the PowerEdge MX responsive design helps eliminate the uncertainty of planning for emerging workload and data center needs. Industry leading thermal architecture, unique no mid plane design, forward thinking mechanical design and control algorithms for dense configurations allows for emerging technologies to easily integrate with existing infrastructure.
- Multi-generational assurance for at least three sever processor microarchitecture generations.
- More effective cooling and more disruptive fabric upgrades with the no mid plane design - direct compute to I/O connections.
- Simplified storage capacity, up to 118 2.5” direct-attached SAS hot-serviceable drives in a single MX7000 chassis when paired with PowerEdge MX5016s storage sled.
Dell Technologies offers complete end-to-end services
ProSupport Enterprise SuiteGain the freedom to focus on your business transformation with the support expertise and insights Dell Technologies is known for across the globe. Choose the right support based on the criticality of specific systems with available automated predictive analysis, collaborative third-party assistance and service account management.
ProDeployProDeploy Enterprise Suite helps you get more out of technology starting on day one. Trust our experts to lead deployments from basic hardware installations through planning, configuration and complex integrations. Our complete suite of deployment services and professional certifications helps you achieve business outcomes today and tomorrow.
Training & CertificationEducation Services offers an expansive suite of training services with multiple delivery methods, including instructor-led, self-paced online and virtual instructor-led training. With comprehensive and flexible training programs, we make it easy to ensure your staff has the skills they need to successfully manage and utilize your new technology to its full potential.
ConsultingConsulting services give expert guidance to help you grow, optimize and transform your IT environment at your own pace and budget. We employ a broad range of certified consultants and engineers, backed by program management teams, who can deliver deep technical expertise. We give you the confidence that your project will be done right and on time.
Financing and leasingAcquiring the latest IT solutions shouldn’t be as complicated as running your business. With Dell Financial Services you can finance and purchase in the same place*. It’s quick, it’s easy and most important, it lets you keep the “flow” in your cash flow.
- Up to two 2nd Generation Intel®™ Xeon(R)™ Scalable processors, with up to 28 cores per processor
- Canonical® Ubuntu® Server LTS
Microsoft® Windows Server® with Hyper-V
Red Hat® Enterprise Linux
SUSE® Linux Enterprise Server
- Intel® C628 Chipset with optional Intel® QuickAssist Technology
- DIMM Speed
Up to 2933 MT/s
Memory Module Slots
24 DDR4 DIMM slots
12 slots enabled for NVDIMM-N
12 slots enabled for Intel® Optane™ DC persistent memory DCPMM
Intel® Optane™ DC persistent memory DCPMM 6.1TB (total capacity of 7.68TB per server)
- Front Bays
Up to 6 x 2.5” SAS/SATA (HDD/SSD) or NVMe PCIe SSD
- Internal controllers:
PERC HBA330, H730P, H745P, HBA330 mini-mezz
Choice HWRAID 2 x M.2 SSDs or
Internal Dual SD Module (IDSDM)
- Cryptographically signed firmware
Silicon Root of Trust
System Lockdown (requires OpenManage Enterprise)
TPM 1.2/2.0 optional
- Embedded / At-the-Chassis
OpenManage Enterprise – Modular Edition
Quick Sync 2 Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)/wireless module
Embedded / At-the-Server – Compute Sled
iDRAC9 with Lifecycle Controller
iDRAC RESTful API with Redfish
OpenManage Power Center
OpenManage Mobile (requires OM Enterprise or OM Essentials)
Dell Repository Manager
Dell System Update
Dell Server Update Utility
Dell Update Catalogs
iDRAC Service Module
OpenManage Server Administrator
OpenManage Storage Services
Microsoft® System Center
IBM Tivoli® Netcool/OMNIbus
IBM Tivoli® Network Manager IP Edition
Micro Focus® Operations Manager i (OMi)
- Up to 6 x 3000W; PSU and grid redundancy support (MX7000 chassis)
5 rear- and 4 front-accessible hot-swap fans with full redundancy (MX7000 chassis)
- Network Options
Up to 2 pair redundant general-purpose switch or pass-through module bays (Fabrics A and B); redundant pair of storage specific switch bays (Fabric C)
Up to 25GbE, 32Gbps Fibre Channel, 12Gbps SAS
1 x USB 3.0
1xUSB 2.0 management port to iDRAC
1xUSB 3.0 + USB 2.0 for IDSDM
1 x USB 3.0
2 x PCIe 3.0 x16 mezzanine slots (Fabric A and B)
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 mini-mezzanine slot (Fabric C)
Integrated VGA controller in iDRAC, VGA over LAN
- 7U Chassis, single-width compute sled
Dimensions & Weight
620.35mm (24.42") (handle closed)
- Choose Dell ProSupport Plus for critical systems or Dell ProSupport for premium hardware and software support for your PowerEdge solution. Consulting and deployment offerings are also available. Contact your Dell representative today for more information. Availability and terms of Dell Services vary by region.