Ideal balance of density and scalability
Get scalable computing and storage in a 1U, 2-socket platform with an ideal mix of performance, cost and density for most data centers.
Uncompromising performance and density for data center productivity and scaleThe PowerEdge R640 is the ideal dual-socket platform for dense scale-out data center computing and storage. Benefit from the flexibility of 2.5” or 3.5” drives, the performance of NVMe and embedded intelligence to ensure optimized application performance in a secure platform. With embedded diagnostics and SupportAssist, the R640 delivers maximum uptime in a worry-free environment.
- Dense software-defined storage
- Service providers: application tier
- Dense private cloud
Drive transformation with the Dell PowerEdge portfolioData center evolution starts with modern platforms that easily scale and are optimized for application performance. The PowerEdge R640 is built upon a scalable system architecture and provides the choice and flexibility to easily meet performance demands.
- Simplify deployment and easily scale from 3 to 1000+ nodes for software-defined storage with Dell Ready Nodes.
- Maximize performance with up to 10 NVMe drives and 24 DIMMs, 12 of which can be DCPMMs or NVDIMMs
- Scale compute resources with 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors, and tailor performance based on your unique workload requirements.
Automate productivity with intelligent, embedded managementDell automation and intelligent management mean you spend less time on routine maintenance so you can focus on bigger priorities.
- Help maximize uptime and reduce the IT effort to resolve issues by up to 72%* with ProSupport Plus and SupportAssist.
- Leverage existing management consoles with easy integrations for VMware® vSphere®, Microsoft® System Center and Nagios®.
- Improve productivity with agent-free Dell iDRAC9 for automated, efficient management.
- Simplify deployment with OpenManage next-generation console and server profiles to fully configure and prep servers in rapid, scalable fashion.
Fortify your data center with comprehensive protectionDell provides a comprehensive, cyber-resilient architecture with security embedded into every server to protect your data.
- Protect server configuration and firmware from malicious changes with new Configuration Lock-down.
- Use system erase of local storage to help ensure data privacy when you repurpose or retire servers.
- Automate updates that check file dependencies and proper update sequence, before deploying them independently from the OS/hypervisor.
- Take control of your firmware consoles with embedded authentication that is designed to allow only properly designed updates to run.
- Up to two 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors with up to 28 cores per processor
- Canonical® Ubuntu® Server LTS
Citrix® Hypervisor ®
Microsoft® Windows Server® with Hyper-V
Red Hat® Enterprise Linux
SUSE® Linux Enterprise Server
- Up to one single-width FPGA
Up to three single-width GPU (NVIDIA T4)
- DIMM Speed
Up to 2933MT/s
DCPMM (Intel® Optane™ DC persistent memory)
Memory Module Slots
24 DDR4 DIMM slots (12 NVDIMM or 12 DCPMM only)
Supports registered ECC DDR4 DIMMs only
DCPMM 6.14TB (7.68TB with LRDIMM)
- Front Bays
Up to 10 x 2.5” with up to 8 NVMe, SAS/SATA/SSD/NVMe, max 76.8TB
Up to 10 NVMe, max 64TB
Up to 4 x 3.5” SAS/SATA, max 56TB
Up to 2 x 2.5” SAS/SATA/SSD/NVMe, max 15.36TB
- Internal Controllers:
PERC H330, H730P, H740P, HBA330
12Gbps SAS HBA
Boot Optimized Storage Subsystem (BOSS):
HWRAID 2 x M.2 SSDs 240GB, 480 GB
Internal Dual SD Module
- Cryptographically signed firmware
Silicon Root of Trust
System Lockdown (requires OpenManage Enterprise)
TPM 1.2/2.0, TCM 2.0 optional
- Embedded / At-the-Server
iDRAC RESTful API with Redfish
Quick Sync 2 BLE/wireless module
OpenManage Power Center
Dell RACADM CLI
Dell Repository Manager
Dell System Update
Dell Server Update Utility
Dell Update Catalogs
iDRAC Service Module
OpenManage Server Administrator
OpenManage Storage Services
Microsoft® System Center
RedHat® Ansible® Modules
IBM Tivoli® Netcool/OMNIbus
IBM Tivoli® Network Manager IP Edition
Micro Focus® Operations Manager I
- Network Options
4 x 1GbE
2 x 10GbE + 2 x 1GbE
4 x 10GbE
2 x 25GbE
1 x Dedicated iDRAC direct USB
1 x USB 2.0
1 x USB 3.0 (optional)
1 x Video
1 x Dedicated iDRAC network port
1 x Serial
2 x USB 3.0
1 x Video
3 x Gen3 slots (all x16)
1 x VGA
- Optional LCD bezel or security bezel
- 1U Rack Server
Dimensions & Weight
- ReadyRails™ sliding rails with optional cable management arm for 4-post racks (optional adapter brackets required for threaded hole racks).
- Choose Dell ProSupport Plus for critical systems or Dell ProSupport for premium hardware and software support for your PowerEdge solution. Consulting and deployment offerings are also available. Contact your Dell representative today for more information. Availability and terms of Dell Services vary by region.