Demand uncompromising performance
Power your mission-critical applications and make real-time decisions with the 4-socket R940 in just 3U with up to 12 NVMe drives.
Maximize application performance and eliminate I/O bottlenecksEmpower your organization to make the best decisions fast using real-time data and analytics. The PowerEdge R940 supports 50% more NVMe drives than the R930, up to 48 DIMMs (24 of which can be Intel® Optane™ DC persistent memory DCPMMs) and up to 15.36TB of memory*. Make I/O bottlenecks a thing of the past and keep processor utilization at its peak.
- In-memory and large, complex databases
- Unix to Linux migration
- ERP, CRM
- Dense virtualization
Transform IT with Dell EMC PowerEdgeThe R940 is the foundation to transform your data center with modern applications for real-time data and analytics. Its massive resource footprint optimizes application performance and scales to meet your organization’s demands.
- Maximize storage performance with up to 12 NVMe drives and ensure application performance scales easily.
- Scale compute resources with 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors and tailor performance based on your unique workload requirements.
- Drive data-intensive workloads like SQL and SAP HANA databases with Intel Optane DC persistent memory.
- Expand with up to 13 PCIe Gen 3 slots.
Automate productivity with intelligent, embedded managementDell EMC automation and intelligent management mean you spend less time on routine maintenance so you can focus on bigger priorities.
- Help maximize uptime and reduce the IT effort to resolve issues by up to 72%* with ProSupport Plus and SupportAssist.
- Leverage existing management consoles with easy integrations for VMware® vSphere®, Microsoft® System Center and Nagios®.
- Improve productivity with agent-free Dell iDRAC9 for automated, efficient management.
- Simplify deployment with OpenManage next-generation console and server profiles to fully configure and prep servers in rapid, scalable fashion.
Fortify your data center with comprehensive protection
- Protect server configuration and firmware from malicious changes with new Configuration Lock-down.
- Use system erase of local storage to help ensure data privacy when you repurpose or retire servers.
- Automate updates that check file dependencies and proper update sequence, before deploying them independently from the OS/hypervisor.
- Take control of your firmware consoles with embedded authentication that is designed to allow only properly designed updates to run.
Dell Technologies offers complete end-to-end services
ProSupport Enterprise SuiteGain the freedom to focus on your business transformation with the support expertise and insights Dell Technologies is known for across the globe. Choose the right support based on the criticality of specific systems with available automated predictive analysis, collaborative third-party assistance and service account management.
ProDeployProDeploy Enterprise Suite helps you get more out of technology starting on day one. Trust our experts to lead deployments from basic hardware installations through planning, configuration and complex integrations. Our complete suite of deployment services and professional certifications helps you achieve business outcomes today and tomorrow.
Training & CertificationEducation Services offers an expansive suite of training services with multiple delivery methods, including instructor-led, self-paced online and virtual instructor-led training. With comprehensive and flexible training programs, we make it easy to ensure your staff has the skills they need to successfully manage and utilize your new technology to its full potential.
ConsultingConsulting services give expert guidance to help you grow, optimize and transform your IT environment at your own pace and budget. We employ a broad range of certified consultants and engineers, backed by program management teams, who can deliver deep technical expertise. We give you the confidence that your project will be done right and on time.
Financing and leasingAcquiring the latest IT solutions shouldn’t be as complicated as running your business. With Dell Financial Services you can finance and purchase in the same place*. It’s quick, it’s easy and most important, it lets you keep the “flow” in your cash flow.
- Up to four 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors
with up to 28 cores per processor
- Canonical® Ubuntu® LTS
Microsoft Windows Server® with Hyper-V
Red Hat® Enterprise Linux
SUSE® Linux Enterprise Server
- DIMM Speed
Up to 2933MT/s
DCPMM (Intel® Optane™ DC persistent memory)
Memory Module Slots
48 DDR4 DIMM slots (12 NVDIMM or 24 DCPMM slots)
Supports registered ECC DDR4 DIMMs only
DCPMM 12.28TB (15.36 with LRDIMM)
- Front Bays
Up to 24 x 2.5” drives with up to 12NVMe PCie SSDs max 184.32TB
- Internal Controllers
PERC H730P, H740P, H330, HBA330
12Gbps SAS HBA
Boot Optimized Storage Subsystem (BOSS):
HWRAID 2 x M.2 SSDs 240GB, 480GB
Internal Dual SD Module
- Cryptographically signed firmware
Silicon Root of Trust
System Lockdown (requires OpenManage Enterprise)
TPM 1.2/2.0, TCM 2.0 optional
- Embedded / At-the-Server
iDRAC RESTful API with Redfish
Intel® Standard Manageability
Quick Sync 2 BLE/wireless module
- 1100W -48VDC Gold
1100W 380VDC Platinum
Hot plug power supplies with full redundancy option
Up to 8 hot plugs fans with full redundancy
- Network Options
4 x 1GbE
4 x 10GbE,
2 x 10GbE + 2x 1GbE
2 x 25GbE
13 x Gen3 slots (3 x 8 slots + 10x 16 slots)
1 x VGA
- Optional LCD bezel or security bezel
- 3U Rack Server
Dimensions & Weight
*Dimensions do not include bezel
- ReadyRails™ sliding rails with optional cable management arm for 4-post racks (optional adapter brackets required for threaded hole racks).
- Choose Dell ProSupport Plus for critical systems or Dell ProSupport for premium hardware and software support for your PowerEdge solution. Consulting and deployment offerings are also available. Contact your Dell representative today for more information. Availability and terms of Dell Services vary by region.