Help Me Choose: Precision Memory
Random access memory (RAM)
The amount of RAM you have and the memory architecture of your system determines:
- How many programs can be executed at one time
- How much data is readily available to a program
- How quickly applications perform
- How many applications you can toggle between at once
- Maximum memory speed depends on the processor.
- 2400 MHz NECC or ECC memory automatically clocks down to 2133 MHz when paired with a 6th Gen Intel® Core™ i or Xeon E3-1200 V5 Class of Processor on Dell Precision Tower 3000 Series workstations.
- With 32-bit workstations, the maximum addressable memory is only 4GB, of which a maximum of 3GB is available to applications. That's often far too little room for large files.
- The 64-bit technology in Dell Precision workstations feature Intel® Xeon® and Core™ processors that dramatically expand this space, shattering the 4GB limit.
Quad-channel memory architecture
- Gives additional lanes of access to the processor, which translates to better output.
- Allows you to quickly access larger data sets.
- Should be purchased in equal sets of four to take advantage of all the lanes available.
Error correcting code (ECC)
ECC memory is a feature for high-end systems that detects and corrects single bit errors. It also reports memory errors without interrupting other system operations.
This is important for:
- Highly detailed tasks
- Simultaneously maximizing system availability
- Minimizing system crashes due to single bit error faults
Non-ECC memory does not correct single bit errors and is good for running noncritical applications.
Registered memory (RDIMM)
- Available on mainstream tower and rack workstations
- Similar to ECC memory
- Provides additional data protection and reliability
- Has a register used as a pass-through for address and command signals, to support more RDIMMs per channel
- Consumes more power but is available in larger capacities and higher ranks
- Allows for extremely large memory configurations up to 512GB on select Dell Precision workstations
The system you are configuring may or may not include all of the options listed here:
|If you want ...||Choose ...|
|Peak performance and the ability to take advantage of 64-bit applications in highly specialized areas of oil and gas, digital content creation, high-end CAD and medical imaging.||128GB* or more|
|Great performance for large files and multitasking with high-end CAD, animation, analysis software and other extremely demanding applications.||64GB*|
|Good performance for multitasking with relatively large files and demanding workstation applications.||32GB*|
|Adequate performance with relatively large files and mainstream workstation applications.||16GB*|
|Acceptable performance with office productivity applications and basic workstation applications.||8GB*|