Flexible and efficient modular server
Deliver scalability and high density with a 2-socket, half-height modular blade server ideal for HPC, XaaS and virtualization.
High-performance modular compute with industry-leading densityEffectively meet dynamic business needs with the PowerEdge M640. This modular blade server is designed to scale out and enable increased performance – all inside a PowerEdge M1000e chassis. Get up to 16 Intel® Xeon® Scalable processor dual-socket compute nodes in a single chassis. The M640 is an outstanding match for data center workloads that benefit from high density and power efficiency, and for multi-server and clustered architectures.
- High-performance computing (HPC)
- Anything as a service (Xaas)
- Private cloud
Speed IT transformation with the PowerEdge portfolioTake the next step to modernize your data center with this modular compute platform. The PowerEdge M640 is a modular blade server built on a scalable business architecture that offers you choice and flexibility to meet performance demands easily.
- Scale compute resources with Intel® Xeon® Scalable processor that delivers a 27% increase in cores and a 50% increase in bandwidth over the previous generation.*
- Gain exceptional flexibility with a universal backplane and a choice of 2 x M.2 (BOSS) or dual SD cards.
- Maximize storage with 16 DDR4 DIMM slots and support up to 1024GB maximum memory.
PowerEdge M640 Video
Automate productivity with intelligent, embedded managementDell EMC OpenManage intelligent automation enables you to spend less time on routine maintenance so you can focus on business-critical priorities.
- Help maximize uptime with proactive diagnostics and automated remediation that increase productivity up to 90%.*
- Leverage existing management consoles with easy integrations for VMware® vSphere®, Microsoft® System Center and Nagios®.
- Improve productivity with agent-free Dell EMC iDRAC9 for automated management.
- Simplify deployment with OpenManage next-generation console and server profiles to configure and prep servers rapidly and scalably.
Fortify your servers with integrated securityA comprehensive, cyber-resilient architecture with security embedded into every server helps to protect your data.
- Protect server configuration and firmware from malicious changes with new Configuration Lock-down.
- Use system erase of local storage to help ensure data privacy when you repurpose or retire servers.
- Automate updates that check file dependencies and proper update sequence, before deploying them independently from the OS/hypervisor.
- Take control of your firmware consoles with embedded authentication that is designed to allow only properly signed updates to run.
- Up to two Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors, up to 28 cores per processor
- 16 DIMMs in total; Supports RDIMM /LRDIMM/AEP
Up to 6 channels with 2 DPC / 1 DPC / 1 DPC
Up to two 2.5” NVME PCIe SSD
DDR4 speeds up to 2666 MT/s 16 x 32GB RDIMM
- Internal controllers:
Software RAID S140, PERC9 H330, H730P
Boot Optimized Storage Subsystem:
HWRAID 2 x M.2 SSDs 120GB, 240 GB
Internal Dual SD Module optional
Up to 2 x 2.5” SAS/SATA (HD/SSD) max 12.8TB
- 2700W and 3000W for M1000e
1100W and 1600W for VRTX
- Hot plug fans with full redundancy
- Chassis depth:
544.32 mm (handle push-in), 564.87 mm (Handle pull out)
- Chassis Management Controller (CMC)
IPMI 2.0 compliant
Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller (iDRAC 9) with Lifecycle Controller
- OpenManage Essentials (OME)
OpenManage Server Administrator (OMSA)
I/O and Ports
- Network daughter card options
2 x 10GE + 4 X 1GE, 4 x 10GE
System ID / Status LED
1 USB 2.0 MicroAB port with iDRAC management function
1 USB 3.0 port
2 x PCIe 3.0 (x8) mezzanine cards for M1000e
2 x PCIe 2.0 (x8) switch mezzanine cards for VRTX
VGA controller integrated with iDRAC
8 Gen3 low-profile cards for VRTX
3 standard height, full-length x8 PCIe Gen2 cards for VRTX
5 low profile, half-length x8 PCIe Gen2 cards for VRTX
Supported Operating Systems
- Canonical® Ubuntu® Server LTS
Citrix® XenServer® (optional)
Microsoft® Windows Server®
Microsoft® Windows Server® with Hyper-V™
Red Hat® Enterprise Linux
SUSE® Linux Enterprise Server
- Dell ProSupport Plus for critical systems or Dell ProSupport for premium hardware and software support for your PowerEdge solution. Consulting and deployment offerings are also available. Contact your Dell representative today for more information
- Embedded / At-the-Server
iDRAC9 with Lifecycle Controller (Express, Enterprise)
iDRAC REST API with Redfish
Chassis Management Controller (CMC)
OpenManage Power Center
iDRAC Service Module
OpenManage Server Administrator
OpenManage Storage Services
Dell Repository Manager
Dell System Update
Dell Server Update Utility
Dell Update Catalogs
Microsoft® System Center
BMC software (available from BMC)
Nagios Core and Nagios XI
HPE Operations Manager i (OMi)