What is Dell SupportAssist app (formerly Dell System Detect)?
Dell SupportAssist app (formerly Dell System Detect) is an application that runs on your Windows-based PC or tablet with your permission and interacts with the Dell Support website so that we can provide a better and more personalized support experience.
New update available.
It is recommended that you install the latest version of Dell SupportAssist app to enhance the application’s security and performance. Download Dell SupportAssist app
Note: You must be logged in as an administrator to download and install Dell SupportAssist app on your Dell PC.
|Support Operating Systems
- Microsoft Windows 10
- Microsoft Windows 8 / 8.1
|Supported Dell Platforms
||Select Dell PCs
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Edge
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 or higher
- Firewall or anti-virus exceptions
Note: Some firewall or antivirus software may block or limit the functionality of Dell System Detect without a notification.
What does Dell SupportAssist do?
There are three main actions that you can take on the Dell Support website that use the Dell SupportAssist application. When you take one of these actions, you will either be prompted to download and install Dell SupportAssist if it is not already installed or the application will automatically start and install the latest version before completing the action.
- Detect Product
This is the most common use of the Dell SupportAssist app. At various points on the Dell Support website, you have the option to have your product detected so that Dell can provide targeted support. When you click Detect Product, the application runs on your system and detects the Service Tag of your Dell computer. Dell then uses the Service Tag to look up product information, such as your original system configuration and warranty end date, to provide a product-specific support experience.
- Detect Drivers
Once you have identified your product, you have the option to run a Detect Drivers (System Analysis) on the Driver & Downloads tab of the Product Support page. When you click Detect Drivers (System Analysis), Dell SupportAssist looks at which drivers are installed on your system and compares it with the latest available drivers. This is the most accurate way to determine which drivers are out of date on your system. Once the scan is complete, you can choose to "autoinstall" the updates with the Dell SupportAssist application. Similarly, Dell SupportAssist is used when you choose to download drivers from your downloads list or any time the driver size is greater than 2GB. For more information on Detect Drivers or System Analysis, refer to the Dell knowledge-base article Detect Drivers or Drivers by System Analysis.
- Run Diagnostics
You also have the option to "Run a diagnostic" on the Diagnostics tab of the Product Support page to detect and solve common hardware and software problems. When you click Run Diagnostic, the Dell SupportAssist application acts like a bridge between the online and Dell SupportAssist application. Dell SupportAssist helps invoke Dell diagnostic tools (SupportAssist) in the right mode and manages the progress and communications protocol between the tools seamlessly.
How to install Dell SupportAssist?
- Visit Dell SupportAssist page.
- Review the Terms and Conditions, check the box and click Continue.
- Once the installer downloads, a notification window will appear asking if you want to install this application. Choose Install from this window.
- Upon successful installation, a confirmation icon will appear in the Windows taskbar. Product detection will begin automatically.
How to uninstall Dell SupportAssist?
The instructions below apply to the following Microsoft Windows Operating Systems:
- Microsoft Windows 10
- Microsoft Windows 8 or 8.1
To uninstall Dell SupportAssist from your computer:
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
- In the Run dialog box, type appwiz.cpl, then press the Enter key.
- In the Programs and Features window (previously called Add/Remove Programs in Microsoft Windows XP), select Dell SupportAssist from the list of applications.
- Click the Uninstall button on top.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation.
Troubleshooting error messages
If Dell SupportAssist installation fails with the error message "Cannot continue. This application is improperly formatted. Contact the application vendor for assistance.", refer to the Dell knowledge-base article How to Troubleshoot Dell SupportAssist Installation Failure.