Follow the steps outlined below to create recovery media for the XPS 13 9343 and Precision M3800 Developer Editions using the Dell Recovery utility.
This article details how to create recovery media using the Dell Recovery utility from the factory installed Ubuntu 14.04 on the XPS 13 9343 and Precision M3800 Developer Edition.
1. Search dash for the Dell Recovery utility and start the process by clicking on the icon. (See Figure 1.)
Figure 1. Searching the DASH for the Dell recovery utility.
2. The following window will pop up. Click the "Build OS Media" button. (See Figure 2.)
Figure 2. Pop up window from Dell Recovery utility.
3. On the Media Type window ensure that the "USB Flash Drive" radio button is chosen and click the continue button. (See Figure 3.)
Figure 3. Selection of the media in Dell recovery Media Creator.
4. On the following window click the Apply button. Enter in your password on the authentication prompt. (See Figure 4.)
Figure 4. Clicking Apply, to continue the Media Creation process.
5. It will now build the ISO image file required to create the recovery media. Once the ISO is created it will ask you if you want to create a startup disk. Insert a USB flash drive (this process will erase all data from the USB flash drive) and click the "Make Startup Disk" button. (See Figure 5.)
Figure 5. Building the ISO image file to create recovery media.
6. You will be required to enter your password to install the bootloader to the flash drive. Enter your password and click the "Authenticate" button. (See Figure 6.)
Figure 6. Entering the password and clicking the Authenticate button.
7. Once the media is created the "Installation Complete" window will appear. Click the "Quit" button. (See Figure 7.)
Figure 7. Installation Complete, Click the Quit Button to close.
8. The last window confirms the completion of the media creation process and shows you the location of the ISO file in case you wish to back it up and create another startup disk in the future. See Figure 8)
Figure 8. ISO location and Click Close button to close the Window.
Article ID: HOW10851
Last Date Modified: 09/14/2019 12:32 AM
Thank you for your feedback.