Certain Dell PowerEdge servers require the use of the Dell VMware ESXi Customized Image for the easiest and most reliable deployment of a fully managed server. To determine if your server requires the Dell customized image, see ESXi 6.x Image Customization Information
Table of Contents
- What drivers and files are modified or included on the Dell ESXi Customized OEM ISO?
- Download the Dell-customized ESXI ISO Image from VMware
- Download the Dell-customized ESXi ISO Image from Dell Support
Each ESXi image is a customization of the base VMware image of a particular version. Dell customization of the image includes:
- Modifying files to identify Dell and Dell support.
- Updating the ESXi image with the latest validated asynchronous drivers.
- Updating patches if it addresses a common issue for Dell systems.
We recommended using the latest version of the ESXi image available for your Dell system.
To find out how to download the customized ESXi Image from VMware Website, watch this video or follow the step by step instructions below.
Step by Step Instructions
- Go to https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/login and login with your account credentials.
- Select "View and Download Products" > All Products and then click "View Download Components" link of VMware vSphere. Below snapshot is the same content when traversed to the above said location.
Figure 1: Downloads page at vmware.com
- From the drop-down menu, select the wanted ESXi version. The Dell EMC customized images are available for 6.7 and 6.5 branches of ESXi. Hence if you select any other versions of ESXi, the "Custom ISOs" tab will not have the Dell EMC customized image.
Figure 2: Version selection at vmware.com
- Click "Custom ISOs"
Figure 3: Custom ISO's selection screen
- Expand the OEM Customized Installer CD's option and then click Go to Downloads for the image that you want to download. Both Dell EMC customized VMware ESXi ISO image and the offline bundle (.zip format) are available in the download page.
Figure 4: Custom ISOs download screen
Note: A valid my.vmware.com account is required to download ISO images.
To download the Dell-customized ESXi ISO image, perform the following steps:
Go to dell.com/support, and select your product from the Product Support section or enter service tag.
Click the Drivers and Downloads tab.
Filter the request "Enterprise Solutions" in the Category field.
Expand the VMware ESXi link, and click download on the required version for your server.
For example: Here is the download link of Dell-customized VMware ESXi 6.7 U3 in our website for your reference.
To install ESXi, boot on the ISO file and follow the instructions. Alternative methods can be used to boot on the ISO file:
Find the VMware compatibility information in VMware compatibility Guide