This article provides guidance for the Dell EMC System Update (DSU).
Table of Contents
- What is DELL EMC System Update (DSU)?
- What is new in DSU v1.8?
- Supported Operating Systems
Dell EMC System Update (DSU) is a script optimized update deployment tool for applying Dell Update Packages (DUP) to Dell EMC PowerEdge servers. Dell EMC System Update version 1.8 allows for additional Powershell and JSON support. Allowing for unprecedented flexibility.
- Robust set of Command Line (CLI) attributes
- Both Linux and Windows versions with the same features and functionality
- DSU for Linux can work with either the Dell Enterprise Catalog (or a custom catalog created using Dell Repository Manager) or the Dell Linux Repository for access to Linux update packages
Note: Dell recommends using the Dell Enterprise Catalog as it is refreshed on the 2nd and 4th Friday, while Linux Repository is refreshed on the third Friday.
- DSU for Windows works with the Dell Enterprise Catalog (or a custom catalog created using Dell Repository Manager)
- Option to create a custom bootable ISO
- DSU is the technology used by Dell EMC Repository Manager for the Smart Bootable ISO and Smart Deployment Scrip features.
- DSU User Guide contains a complete list of CLI attributes and sample scripts.
Once DSU is installed on a system it will:
- Inventory the PowerEdge server and determine what updateable components are installed
- Determine which components have new updates available
- Apply those updates
The release of DSU 1.8 signals a significant advancement in the update process.
- Support of Windows PowerShell
- Support of Share Network (Import and Export)
- Support for exporting inventory in JSON format
- Support for uninstalling DSU on remote systems
- Progress status
DSU is available as a Dell Update Package (DUP). DSU DUP
- Windows DUP supports Windows operating system's listed below
- Linux DUP supports RHEL/SLES/Ubuntu OSs listed below
DSU RPM for RHEL/SLES is also available. DSU RPM
DSU User Guide
Linux (RHEL and SUSE)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 (x86_64)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 (x86_64)
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15 (x86_64)
- Ubuntu ® 18.04 LTS LTS
Note: DSU is designed to work with community Linux Distributions such as CentOS and Debian.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 (x86_64)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016 (x86_64)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2019 (x86_64)
Supported Platforms: Dell EMC PowerEdge 12G and greater Servers.