This article describes an issue when running bios 1.4.2 on the 7530 and 7730 systems where they may not appear to have completed post and will not display on external monitors.
On Dell Precision Mobile Workstations 7530/7540 and/or 7730/7740, you may notice that the system appears to have a blank screen (no display) on external monitors or not booting to the operating system during power on. The system will fail to display on an external monitor during POST through the USB Type-C/mDP/HDMI port.
During the post when system is in Special Display mode, default graphic card in use is Intel (vBIOS/GOP) which manages the laptop LCD only, and the video ports (Type C, On-bard mDP/HDMI) are controlled by the discrete graphic card (GPU).
You will notice this issue when:
- When the laptop lid is closed while connected to an external monitor connected by the Type-C/onboard mDP/HDMI port in Special mode, the system cannot display POST on an external monitor
- When the laptop lid is closed while connected to an external monitor connected by the onboard mDP/HDMI port in SG mode, the system cannot display POST on an external monitor
Note: If you enable Discrete Graphics Controller Direct Output Mode on NVIDIA based systems, then you will not get external video in pre-OS environments. Discrete Graphics Controller Direct Output Mode must be disabled in order to retain external video outside of the Operating System.
If Discrete Graphics Controller Direct Output Mode on NVIDIA based systems has been disabled and the issue persists, updating your system to the latest BIOS version will help resolve the issue. To download and install the latest BIOS:
Warning: It is recommended that you disconnect external peripherals like external hard disk drives, printers, scanners before updating the BIOS on your Dell PC.
Warning: Dell laptop PCs must have the battery installed and charged to at least 10% before you begin the BIOS update. Dell recommends running the laptop PC on AC power before proceeding with the update process.
: To learn more about updating the BIOS on your PC, refer to the Dell knowledge-base article Dell BIOS Updates
- Browse to the Dell Precision 7530, Dell Precision 7730, Dell Precision 7540 or Dell Precision 7740 Drivers and Downloads page
- On the left, click on the Drivers and Downloads tab
- Ensure you have selected the correct Operating System
- Under Category, select BIOS
- Locate the latest System BIOS
- Click Download and save the file to your PC
- Open File Explorer and browse to the location where the downloaded file is saved
- Double-click the BIOS setup file and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process