Article Summary: This article provides information about performing a bare-metal restore of Windows Server 2008 R2 using Windows Server Backup.
Note: If you need to recover your Windows server and have been using Windows Server Backup, refer to the TechNet article Recovering Your Server
for additional troubleshooting.
Windows Server Backup provides the option to recover files and folders, applications and data, volumes, the full server, the system state only, or a backup catalog. This example covers the recovery of the whole server and can be used if the server is unable to boot into Windows.
- Boot the server using the Windows DVD.
- Choose Repair my computer.
- On the System Recovery Options page, choose System Image Recovery.
- Select the location of the restore image. Use the Advanced link to specify a network location if necessary.
- At the Choose additional restore options screen, you may format the disk or exclude specific disks. You also have the option to install drivers if necessary for WinRE to recognize the disks in the system.
- To begin the restore, click Finish.
Screenshots of the above procedure can be found in the TechNet blog entry Bare Metal Restore
, and there is a YouTube video of the process at Windows Server 2008 Backup and Restore
. Windows Small Business Server (SBS) screenshots are located in the TechNet blog entry How to Perform a Bare Metal Restore on Small Business Server 2008
For additional information, refer to Recover the Operating System or Full Server
Quick Tips content is self-published by the Dell Support Professionals who resolve issues daily. In order to achieve a speedy publication, Quick Tips may represent only partial solutions or work-arounds that are still in development or pending further proof of successfully resolving an issue. As such Quick Tips have not been reviewed, validated or approved by Dell and should be used with appropriate caution. Dell shall not be liable for any loss, including but not limited to loss of data, loss of profit or loss of revenue, which customers may incur by following any procedure or advice set out in the Quick Tips.