How to Remove and Install the Toner Cartridge
When the toner eventually runs out, only blank pages print when a print job or copy job are sent. The toner-related message saying that the toner is empty may appear on the display.
In that case the incoming faxes are only saved in the memory and not printed. At this stage, the toner cartridge needs to be replaced.
Caution: For best results, use Dell toner cartridge. Print quality and printer reliability are not guaranteed if you do not use Dell supplies.
To replace the toner cartridge:
- Open the front cover.
- Pull the toner cartridge out (Figure 1).
- Remove the new toner cartridge from its bag.
- Remove the packing tape and thoroughly shake the cartridge from side-to-side to distribute the toner (Figure 2).
Save the box and the cover for shipping.
Note: If toner comes into contact with your clothing, wipe the toner off with a dry cloth and wash your clothing in cold water. Hot water sets toner into fabric. Do not touch the green underside of the toner cartridge. Use the handle on the cartridge to avoid touching this area.
- Holding the toner cartridge by the handle and slowly insert the cartridge into the opening in the printer.
- Tabs on the sides of the cartridge and corresponding grooves within the printer will guide the cartridge into the correct position until it locks into place completely.
- Close the front cover. Ensure that the cover is surely closed.
Note: It is recommended that only Dell Branded toner, drums, transfer rollers or other consumables are used in our laser printers.
Dell cannot guarantee compatibility or the print quality of any 3rd party consumables.
If these steps do not correct the problem, please contact Dell Technical Support.
More information can be found in the User Guide
for your model printer, or visit our Printer Support site
for additional information, troubleshooting articles and videos.
Purchase Toner and other Dell Laser Printer Supplies
(select your country/region in the dropdown shown)
It is recommended that only Dell Branded toner, drums, transfer rollers or other consumables are used in our laser printers. Dell cannot guarantee compatibility or the print quality of any 3rd party consumables.
Back to Top