This article provides the information on "using Symantec Ghost Imaging software on Skylake / Thunderbolt systems".
: This process requires a good working knowledge of the Ghost imaging process. If you require information on how to use Ghost products, contact Symantec support
for additional information. This information is provided for your convenience and does not imply that Dell will provide support for this imaging process.
Prepare the Windows 10 Ghost PE
- Download: Windows 10 Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) 1511 and choose the Install Path for installation (Figure 1):
- Select Deployment Tools and Windows PE from the list of features to install (Figure 2):
- Download and install the 7-Zip utility program from the following location: 7-Zip Utility .
- Download the Windows 10 PE CAB file from the following location at the Dell Techcenter: Windows 10 PE CAB.
- Extract the Windows 10 PE CAB file to a temp directory such as C:\DC\temp\Win10PECAB.
- Download the ASBmedia USB 3.0 Drivers
- Extract to c:\dc\temp\pws5510\usba
- Download the Thunderbolt Controller Drivers
- Extract to c:\dc\temp\pws5510\TBT
- Download the Realtek USB Thunderbolt Ethernet Driver
- Extract to c:\dc\temp\pws5510\RTLUSB
- Make a new directory c:\dc\temp
- Make a new directory c:\dc\temp\pe10
- Make a new directory c:\dc\temp\mount
- Open the Deployment and Imaging Tools Environment as Administrator (Figure 3)
NOTE: Use a clean version of Windows 10 PE x86 located here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\x86\en-us
- Copy the winpe.wim to a temp directory such as c:\dc\temp
- Use dism to mount the winpe.wim in a temp directory:
- dism /mount-wim /wimfile:c:\dc\temp\pe10\winpe.wim /index:1 /mountdir:c:\dc\temp\mount
- dism /image:c:\dc\temp\mount /add-driver:c:\dc\temp\win10pecab\x86 /recurse /forceunsigned
- dism /image:c:\dc\temp\mount /add-driver:c:\dc\temp\pws5510\usba\Driver_Win10 /recurse /forceunsigned
- dism /image: c:\dc\temp\mount /add-driver:c:\dc\temp\pws5510\TBT /recurse /forceunsigned
- dism /image: c:\dc\temp\mount /add-driver:c:\dc\temp\pws5510\RTLUSB\Windows\WIN10\32 /recurse /forceunsigned
- Copy Ghost32.exe 11.5.1 (build 2269 or later) to c:\dc\temp\mount\GHOST
- dism /unmount-image /mountdir:c:\dc\temp\mount /commit
- Import the winpe.wim file at c:\dc\temp\pe10 to WDS or your USB key as sources\boot.wim .
Prepare the OS for Ghosting
On the target machine:
- Install the Windows OS and all updates and drivers
- Shrink the partition of the Windows drive but leave 2048MB for the Sysprep OOBE process when you restore the image (Figure 4):
- Right click on the C: partition
- Choose Shrink Volume (Figure 5)
- Subtract 2048 from the amount of space to shrink (Figure 6):
- Run Sysprep with Generalize, OOBE, and Quit (Figure 7).
NOTE: Some drivers may not sysprep properly and should be uninstalled prior to sysprepping.
If you receive errors in the sysprep process, a setuperr.log will be in Windows\System32\Sysprep\Panther
- Restart the system and start the PXE / USB process (Figure 8).
NOTE: If you do not see Ghost32 start up when you issue the X:\ghost\Ghost32.exe command in PE: Ghost32.exe hangs in a WinPE PreOS on machines with Intel AHCI Mass Storage Devices https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH123534.html