This article provides information on installing and uninstalling Dell Data Protection | Security Tools.
Dell Data Protection | Security Tools
What is Dell Data Protection | Security Tools?
Dell Data Protection | Security Tools provides security and identity protection to Dell computer administrators and end users. Dell Data Protection | Security Tools is pre-installed on all Dell Latitude, Optiplex, and Precision computers and on select Dell XPS notebooks. Should you need to reinstall Dell Data Protection | Security Tools, follow the instructions in this article.
Dell Data Protection | Security Tools is an end-to-end security solution designed to provide advanced authentication support, as well as support for self-encrypting drives.
Features are separated between two components, the Administrator Console and the Security Console. The specific features available within each of these consoles are determined by the Operating Mode.
There are two Operating Modes: Password Mode and Smart Card Mode. Password Mode is the default Operating Mode and provides authentication support for Windows Passwords, Fingerprints and Contactless Cards while Smart Card Mode provides authentication support for Smart Cards and One Step Logon (Single Sign-On [SSO]).
- The Administrator Console is available to users with Administrator privileges and is used to configure the software for all users of the computer.
- The Administrator Console is used to set up authentication policies, manage users, and configure advanced settings as well as settings specific to supported credentials for Windows logon. The Administrator Console also provides the ability to set login and recovery policies for self-encrypting drives.
- The Security Console is the centralized user interface for all end users of the computer.
- The Security Console is used to set up and manage user’s credentials, view the enrollment status of their credentials, backup and restore program data as well as Password Manager logons and credentials for Windows. The Security Console provides a wizard-driven user interface to enable users to configure their credentials and self-recovery questions.
Note: Dell Data Protection | Security Tools is a replacement for Dell Data Protection | Access . If your computer meets the requirements in the link below, you can switch to Dell Data Protection | Security Tools, but you must remove Dell Data Protection | Access first.
For more information on system and software requirements, please see the full installation guide located at the link below:
Dell Data Protection | Security Tools Installation Guide
Installing Dell Data Protection | Security Tools
Users may find it necessary to install or reinstall Dell Data Protection | Security Tools. To do so, please follow the instructions in this section.
Note: Please note that if the user already has Dell Data Protection | Access installed, it will need to be uninstalled and a reset preformed prior to installation.
If Dell Data Protection | Access is installed on the target computer, you must perform the following steps before installing Dell Data Protection | Security Tools:
- Open Dell Data Protection | Access
- Choose Advanced
- Choose Reset System
- Uninstall the Dell Data Protection | Access software
- Restart the computer
The Reset System guarantees that:
- The USH firmware can be upgraded
- The USH is cleared to a new state
- BIOS PBA is deactivated
- All enrollments are cleared
- The Dell Data Protection | Access credential provider is removed
There are two other things to note before installing Dell Data Protection | Security Tools:
- To install Dell Data Protection | Security Tools, you must be at least a local Admin user
- If installing Dell Data Protection | Security Tools on a Dell computer that is equipped with Dell ControlVault™, the drivers for Dell ControlVault will be installed as part of the application. Dell ControlVault firmware may need to be updated, and if so, should be done after Dell Data Protection | Security Tools is installed. Instructions for updating the firmware will immediately follow installation instructions.
To install Dell Data Protection | Security Tools onto the local computer, follow the instructions below:
- Locate installation file in the Dell Data Protection | Security Tools installation media. Copy it to the local computer.
You can locate the installation file from the Dell Support Site
by choosing your system type and locating the Drivers and Downloads
section. From there you should be able to choose your operating system and view the Dell Data Protection
- Double-click the file to launch the installer.
- Click Install if prompted to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package.
- Click Next when the Welcome screen displays.
- Select the appropriate language and click OK. (See Figure 1)
- Read the license agreement, agree to the terms, and click Next.
- Select Next on the Select Feature screen. (See Figure 2)
- Click Install to begin the installation. (See Figure 3)
- Once the installation is complete, a computer restart is required. Select Yes to restart and then click OK. (See Figure 4)
Installation is complete.
If your system is equipped with Dell ControlVault, download updated firmware from the Dell Support Site and extract to a folder on your computer.
Note: The computer should be connected to power prior to upgrading the firmware. Do not interrupt the upgrade once it is in-progress.
Once you are able to confirm that the system has power, follow the instructions below to update the firmware:
- Go to the location of the saved executable file and run ushupgrade.exe as an Administrator.
- Click Start to begin the firmware upgrade process. (See Figure 5)
- A status window displays the progress of the firmware upgrade.
- Restart the computer when prompted. (See Figure 6)
Dell ControlVault firmware is now upgraded.
Note: Dell Data Protection | Security Tools can be installed as a stand alone application or can be installed with the Master Installer.
Uninstalling Dell Data Protection | Security Tools
To uninstall Dell Data Protection | Security Tools, you must be at least a local Admin user.
To uninstall Dell Data Protection | Security Tools, follow the instructions below:
- De-provision the SED. To do this: From the Administrator Console, go to the Encryption tab and toggle SED management from ON to OFF. Once this is completed, restart the system.
- Go to Uninstall a Program in the Windows Control Panel (Start - Control Panel - Programs and Features - Uninstall a Program.)(See Figure 7). The applications must be uninstalled in the following order:
- Dell Data Protection | Client Security Framework
- Dell Data Protection | Security Tools Authentication
- Dell Data Protection | Security Tools
For additional support, US based customer can call Dell Data Security ProSupport at: 877.459.7304 Ext. 4310039 or you may also contact us via the Chat Portal. For support outside the US, reference ProSupport’s International Contact Numbers list. Visit the Dell Security Community Forum to get insights from other community members and additional resources to help you manage your environment.