About the Dell Troubleshooting Tool
The tool can be used to gather more information about failures and issues with the discovery of the network devices (for example, Dell servers, clients, or any other network resources) in Dell OpenManage Essentials.
The tool also has the ability to verify Emails, SMTP settings, check for the availability of ports, run a command on a remote device, send and listen for SNMP traps, check warranty status, verify connectivity issues to a network share and iDRAC while deploying files.
The tool can debug issues during in-band system update, find detailed information about iDRAC jobs or delete iDRAC jobs, and verify the IP address formed during out-of-band system update.
This tool is optional and is only required to debug issues. The tool is also available as part of the OpenManage Essentials installer media. The tool helps identify issues so they can be manually resolved outside of the tool.
Features & Benefits of the Dell Troubleshooting Tool
The Dell Troubleshooting Tool gathers information about problems that may occur while using OpenManage Essentials
. The tool can be used to diagnose discovery-related problems that may occur while connecting to managed nodes using various protocols such as SNMP, WMI, SSH, WS-Man, PowerVault modular disk specific connection among others. The tool also verifies the SMTP specific settings, SNMP trap listening, SNMP trap forwarding and TCP/UDP port availability. It can be used to diagnose issues that may occur while updating patches through in-band method and also verify connectivity issues that may occur during deployment using a network share. The tool also includes several other tests to verify issues that may occur while using OpenManage Essentials. See the tool's Help and readme file for more information.
The Dell Troubleshooting Tool version is bundled with OpenManage Essentials
(latest, 18th Oct 2018).
The tool can be downloaded here
(Dell Troubleshooting Tool v3.4.8)
The following are some example use cases:
- Run the tool and select the SNMP protocol, specify protocol specific settings, and provide remote system IP Address when unable to discover a supported device in OpenManage Essentials or the device is classified as an unknown device while using SNMP protocol. For Dell PowerEdge servers, verify whether the tool provides Server Administrator version in the result area for a successful test (using the SNMP Protocol for an in-band server discovery).
- Verify the ability to ping a remote device (using Ping/ICMP protocol) and the ability to resolve the host name of the device from the management station (using Name Resolution protocol).
- Verify if the Dell OpenManage Server Administrator services are running on a remote device (using Services protocol).
- Check warranty status of any Dell server (using Service Tag).
- Execute a command on the remote system and verify its output.
- Listen to incoming SNMP traps.
- Use the tool to forward test SNMP traps.
- Use the tool to verify the SMTP settings to ensure that OpenManage Essentials can successfully run the Alert Emails action.
- Use the tool to verify the availability of the local or remote ports.
- Identify the user groups of the active user.
- View or delete the pending system update jobs in an iDRAC.
- Verify connectivity to the deployment file share.
Network Share Test
Configure ICMP Settings
: iDRAC Jobs
The Dell Troubleshooting Tool is a 64-bit application that requires the following:
- Supported Operating Systems
- Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2 and 2016 Standard and Datacenter Edition
- Windows 7 (x64), 8 (x64), 8.1 (x64) and Windows 10 (x64)
- Microsoft .NET framework 4.0 or later
- Write permission are required on the folder where the Dell Troubleshooting Tool is installed. This is required to execute the required tests and show the results successfully
- Administrator permissions are required to run the tool executable
- IPv4 support only
Please review the readme file after you install the utility.
Troubleshooting tool Videos:
YouTube Video : Troubleshooting tool Videos