Dell™ OpenManage™ Power Center (OMPC) management console provides increased visibility over power consumption, anomalies, and utilization through fine-grained instrumentation. This enables increased control, improved rack density, faster response times, greater accuracy, and broader decision-making intelligence than would otherwise be possible.
When used with a 12th, 13th, or 14th-generation PowerEdge server with an iDRAC Enterprise license on a system with an Intel chipset, OMPC leverages Intel Node Manager technology for platform-level power reporting and capping of Intel chipsets. Power Center then communicates with the Dell iDRAC on each managed server to provide node, rack, row or data-center level aggregation of power-management data, as well as execution of control policy - making it easy for IT professionals to identify areas to gain efficiencies and cut wasteful costs.
The latest version of OMPC is 4.1.
Key Benefits of Dell OpenManage Power Center
- Measure energy consumed by IT equipment at a server, rack, row, or room level
- Mitigate Risk by reducing power consumption per a pre-defined policies that maximize the uptime of business critical applications by reducing non-critical consumption
- Increase data center density by identifying racks with equipment not using the power capacity that has been wired into it.
- Reports containing CPU usage and power consumption that can be used for:
- Chargeback – physical and VM
- Workload balancing based on power consumption
- Identifying rack space for server installations
When used with Dell PowerEdge servers with an iDRAC Enterprise license these additional features are available:
- Enable oversubscribed power supply configurations
- Customers can set power caps individually or in groups
- Millisecond fast power capping before tripping a circuit breaker (additional license required for 13th generation Dell servers)
New features in OMPC 4.1
- Hardware Support for New 14G PowerEdge Platforms
Key features (carried over from prior versions):
- Reporting of power consumption by individual VMs
- iDRAC RESTful API based on Redfish protocol
- Customized Dashboard
- Policy to reduce power upon reaching thermal threshold
- Group power calculation based on the PDU
- Support for PowerEdge VRTX Chassis power monitoring and management
- Analysis and Planning Features:
- Analyze the server power characteristics per server model for future expansion
- Assist in capacity expansion and placement suggestions.
- Identify the underutilized servers in the data center based on power consumption pattern.
- Identify the potential cooling concerns in the data center.
- View real-time system airflow history of the Dell’s 13th and 14th generation of PowerEdge servers.
- Replicate the data center hierarchy on the iDRAC location based on OMPC physical location modelling.
- View, analyze, and report the Subsystem power and Compute Usage Per Second (CUPS) values
- CPU and Memory Subsystem power consumption (Dell PowerEdge 12G onwards)
- CPU Utilization (Dell PowerEdge 13G Onwards)
- Memory bandwidth utilization (Dell PowerEdge 13G Onwards)
- I/O bandwidth utilization (Dell PowerEdge 13G Onwards)
- Display PDU socket connection mapping with the device.
- Schedule OMPC database backup.
- Power Monitoring of non-Dell servers with a customer purchased license. (For more information on the supported models, refer to user guide)
- Easy access to Device/Virtual Groups summary, events, policies and power/thermal threshold settings
- Easy to use wizards for Discovery, Device Management, Policies
- Support for additional protocols for device discovery
- Re-usable search queries for Devices, Policies and Events
- Schedule discovery tasks and option to deactivate tasks during peak hours
- Pre-defined reports templates to easily create, run, and export reports
- REST API support for reports
- Reporting "stranded power" in the data center
- Log application events/errors for the end user
- Power Control Tasks:
- To manage remote devices and control power spikes during power-on operation
- Configurable chassis inventory schedule and immediate execution on need basis
- Configurable user interface session time for a secure console
Operating systems supported in OMPC:
Quick OMPC Overview:
- HTML UI and Faster responsiveness
- Quick & Easy to install
- Simple to use and learn
- Brief Asset Reporting (Service-Tag, Model Name)
- Install supported on both Windows & Linux
Agent-free monitoring and management:
- Discover and Correlate blades-iDRAC and Chassis
- Power & Thermal monitoring independent of Operating System
- Dashboard for quick view of power headroom and device usage
- Provide the power and space utilization within the racks.
- Power monitoring and capping for M1000e - chassis level.
Dell OpenManage Power Center is free to download, install and use except for power capping multiple servers on a 1:Many basis from the OMPC console. To enable this feature requires importing the below license to OMPC:
||OMPC Policy and Budgeting, 14G
Once a license is imported to OMPC, that functionality becomes active. Please note, The Power Policy/Capping and Budgeting requires servers with iDRAC Enterprise licenses installed. To order an add-on license for Power Capping, contact Dell sales
For a 90 day, 5-managed-node evaluation license, ask for this SKU:
||OpenManage Power Center Policy and Budgeting Trial
iDRAC Enterprise licenses
Download Dell™ OpenManage™ Power Center
To test Dell iDRAC, Chassis and PDU/UPS connectivity from your management station, you can use Dell Troubleshooting Tool
(Supported on Microsoft Windows OS)
OpenManage Power Center: Capacity Planning - Youtube Video:OpenManage Power Center: Capacity Planning
OpenManage Power Center: Placement Suggestion - Youtube Video:OpenManage Power Center: Placement Suggestion
OpenManage Power Center: Optimizing Rack Provisioning and Capacity - Youtube Video:OpenManage Power Center: Optimizing Rack Provisioning and Capacity
OMPC 3.0: Importing Power Cap Licenses - Youtube Video:OMPC 3.0: Importing Power Cap Licenses
OMPC 3.0: Reporting - Comparison Reports - Youtube Video:OMPC 3.0: Reporting - Comparison Reports
OMPC 3.0: Power And Rack Utilization - Youtube Video:OMPC 3.0: Power And Rack Utilization
OpenManage Power Center - Comparison - Youtube Video:OpenManage Power Center - Comparison
Features overview - Youtube Video:Features overview