This article provides information on Dell Backup and Recovery 1.8: Overview and Install
Dell Backup and Recovery 1.8 is a safe, simple, and reliable backup and recovery solution that can protect your system (OS, applications, drivers, settings) and data (music, photos, videos, documents, and other important files) from data loss.
Dell Backup and Recovery 1.8 comes in two versions, Basic and Premium.
The basic version comes pre-installed on all systems and allows the user to create the system recovery media and take a backup of the factory installed applications and drivers. It also helps the user to restore the computer to the factory image in case of an OS issue or Hard Drive failure.
Users have an option to select the premium version while ordering the system at the Point of Sale, and the upgrade will be delivered via Dell Digital Delivery. The premium version will also be available as an upgrade through an option inside the application.
Shortly after the system is turned on for the first time, Dell Backup and Recovery 1.8 will automatically run its "First Launch Setup" wizard. For more information see Section 3 below.
There are also several other ways to open Dell Backup and Recovery 1.8:
1. On the Desktop, double click the Dell Backup and Recovery icon.
2. In the Desktop System tray, (bottom right by the clock) double click the Dell Backup and Recovery icon.
3. On the Windows 8 Start Screen, start typing "Dell backup and Recovery". The app will appear in the search results as you type, click on the icon, or press Return when highlighted.
Dell Backup and Recovery 1.8 comes factory installed on all supported systems.
If you need to reinstall the application, you can only download it from the Dell Backup and Recovery website: www.dell.com/backupandrecovery
Dell Backup and Recovery can be uninstalled from the "Programs and Features" option in the control panel.
Dell Backup and Recovery needs to have the latest updates in order to keep it running efficiently.
Users that are currently running Dell Backup and Recovery 1.7 will be given a prompt to update to the latest version. Click on the notification to begin an update.
Clicking on the highlighted section will begin the upgrade
In Dell Backup and Recovery 1.8, you can manually update by following these steps:
1. Click the Question Mark on the top right hand corner.
2. Click Check for Updates to search for and install the latest updates.
If an update is available the system will prompt you to install an update, clicking on Install Update will automatically update to the latest version.
The Basic version of Dell Backup and Recovery 1.8 can be upgraded to the Premium version which gives you the full functionality of the tool.
The following table represents the feature differences between Basic and Premium.
|Restore your system back to factory state||Yes||Yes|
|Manually backup and restore user data||Yes||Yes|
|Backup your applications and settings (system backup)||Yes|
|Merge backups and archive old backups||Yes|
|Continuously backup data locally (to a disk)||Yes|
|Backup and restore files based on type||Yes|
You will need to pay a fee for the upgrade. Follow these steps to upgrade to the full version of Dell Backup and Recovery:
1. Make sure the system is connected to the internet and click Upgrade required, either next to System Backup or next to Next Backup.
2. Click on Upgrade Now.
3. Select the desired upgrade option.
4. The system connects to the Dell Backup & Recovery shopping cart page. Users need to fill in all the information (Delivery address, Billing address, Payment options) as required to purchase the upgrade.
5. Go back to the upgrade page and The Activation Code should be entered automatically and DBAR will be upgraded.
Shortly after the system is turned on for the first time, or the first time the application is run, Dell Backup and Recovery 1.8 will automatically run its "First Launch Setup" wizard. This will guide users through the initial setup of Dell Backup and Recovery. If you wish, this can be either "Snoozed" by pressing Later or turned off by selecting Do Not Remind Me and pressing Later
1. If you wish to continue, Click Next
2. The application will then guide you through making Factory Recovery Media. This is covered in more detail in the following article: Dell Backup and Recovery 1.8: Factory Recovery Media
3. If you have purchased the Premium version, the next step is to create a System Backup, System Backup is a snapshot of all the programs, system settings, and files on your main hard drive and can be used to restore your system. This is covered in more detail in the following article: Dell Backup and Recovery 1.8: Backup
4. The last step is Data Backup, this takes a snapshot of all your selected data files. You can use this to restore missing or damaged files. This is covered in more detail in the following article: Dell Backup and Recovery 1.8: Backup
5. After completion, the wizard will show a summary of what has been completed or is still to do. If steps are not completed, the next time users open Dell Backup and Recovery the wizard will open to the first uncompleted item.
6. The Wizard can be started at any time if the user has uncompleted items by clicking "?" mark in upper right hand corner of the Home screen and clicking on First Launch Setup
On the left hand side you will see a quick summary of the status and how Dell Backup and Recovery is configured and any backups that are scheduled.
The table below gives a description of the Dell Backup and Recovery 1.8 Home Screen.
|This screen will show the next task or item the user should do to protect their system.
Note: When an update is available, it will show in this box and it will take priority over all other actions. Users should update the software when available to keep it functioning properly.
|Used to create Factory Recovery Media|
|Backup||Used to perform System and Data Backups.|
|Recovery||Used to perform recovery, to initiate the system and to perform data recovery from local backups|
|Notifications||All notifications are listed for users here.|
|Feedback||The Feedback link is located in the upper right hand corner of the Home Screen. The user can provide feedback on their experience with Dell Backup and Recovery by clicking this.|
|The link to access the terms and conditions is on the lower right hand corner of the Home Screen.|
User can easily move between areas within Dell Backup and Recovery without going back to the Home Screen by clicking on the drop down arrow next to the page title, in this case "Dell Backup and Recovery". A drop down menu will appear and the user can select which area they would like to quickly navigate to.
Clicking "?" on the top right hand side gives the following options.
Article ID: SLN297423
Last Date Modified: 12/03/2018 12:16 PM
Thank you for your feedback.