Dell Server Storage Solution
Dell server storage solutions are engineered to handle the most demanding business applications and are designed with specific features to run workloads, such as High Performance Computing (HPC), collaboration, database, business intelligence, data warehousing, and more efficiently.
The Dell server storage solutions offer:
- PERC and SW RAID support on all PowerEdge servers with DAS
- NVMe PCIe SSDs support on the 12th, 13th, 14th generation of Dell systems
- BOSS card support on most of the 14th generation of Dell systems.
- Host Bus Adapters support on the 11th, 12th, 13th generation of Dell systems
The highlights of each server storage components are listed here:
- PowerEdge RAID Controller
- Software RAID
- NVMe PCIe SSD
- BOSS-S1 card
- Host Bus Adapters (HBA)
|PowerEdge RAID Controller
The Dell PowerEdge RAID controllers (PERC) are enterprise class and entry level controllers designed for enhanced performance, increased reliability and fault tolerance, and simplified management.
The simplified management abilities of PERC provide a powerful and easy-to-manage option to create a robust infrastructure and also help maximize server uptime.
BOSS-S1 is a simple RAID solution card that provides simple redundancy and availability mechanism with RAID 1. The card also offers support for enterprise-level storage and controller products, non-RAID disk support with one or two devices, and scalable capacity.
The Dell PowerEdge Software RAID controller (SW RAID) is a driver that controls the SATA controller(s) chipset and NVMe PCIe SSDs. This is offered as an integrated solution on the Dell PowerEdge systems.
The software RAID solution provides, small to medium business owners, the ability to utilize RAID technology at no additional costs, when using Microsoft and Linux operating systems
|NVMe PCIe SSD
The Dell PowerEdge Express Flash Non-Volatile Memory Express (NVMe) Peripheral Component Interconnect Express (PCIe) Solid State Device (SSD) adapter is a high performance storage device, designed for solutions requiring low latency, high I/O operations per second (IOPS), and enterprise-class storage reliability and serviceability.
The Dell NVMe PCIe SSDs are offered as a Multi-Level Cell (MLC) or Triple-Level Cell (TLC) NAND flash technology, with a high-speed PCIe 3.0 compliant interface.
|Host BUS Adaptors (HBA)
The Dell Host Bus Adapters (HBA) are enterprise class controllers, which provide physical disk drive interface with no-RAID capability.
Table 1: Server storage components
Highlights of Server Storage Product
- The PowerEdge RAID controllers support 4KB and 512 bytes block size disk drives, which enable efficient use of the storage space.
- The SW RAID is an economical RAID solution for the Dell PowerEdge systems. This solution offers a straight-forward solution that includes essential RAID levels and uncomplicated configuration options.
- The Shared PERC 8 controller enables all server modules to efficiently access the low-latency internal shared storage, in the VRTX enclosure that is essential for clustering and virtualization, including vMotion.
- The Shared PERC 8 controller also helps enable efficient processing through peak periods and improves server-use flexibility.
- The PERC FD33xS and PERC FD33xD controllers are exclusively designed to support the PowerEdge FD332 storage sled. These storage controller(s), inside a storage sled, map to compute sled(s) in the FX2s enclosure. This provides the PowerEdge FD332 with an excellent option to enable dense virtual SAN clusters, by combining compute and storage sleds. It helps in creating an easily scalable storage environment, which supports balanced data growth that is customizable. This enables you to tailor your storage needs to the workloads you are running and also avoid overprovisioning.
- The S140 controller supports the NVMe PCIe SSD including NVMe PCIe SSD 2.5 inch Small Form Factor (SFF) or NVMe PCIe SSD adapter. This controller allows the NVMe PCIe SSD 2.5 inch SFF and the NVMe PCIe SSD adapter in a RAID configuration. NVMe PCIe SSDs support Volume, RAID 0, RAID 1, and RAID 10.
- The BOSS-S1 is a simple RAID solution card designed specifically for booting a server's operating system.
- This solution provides a simple RAID 1 or non-RAID solutions.
For more information about the Dell EMC OpenManage documentation, go to Dell.com/openmanagemanuals
For more information about the RAID solutions, see the User’s Guide at Dell.com/storagecontrollermanuals