18.104.22.168.9 What is CPU Patch and how do I apply it in a RAC Environment?
Operating System – RHEL/OEL 5.X
Oracle Version(s) – 11.2.0.X
Author: Carthik Annayan
What is CPU patch?
A Critical Patch Update is a collection of patches for multiple security vulnerabilities. Critical Patch Update patches are usually cumulative but each advisory describes only the security fixes added since the previous Critical Patch Update advisory. Thus, prior Critical Patch Update advisories should be reviewed for information regarding earlier published security fixes.
When is CPU Patches Released?
CPU patches is released 4 times a year in January, April, July & October.
Information about the latest CPU Patch can be found in the below link
Note: To download the latest CPU patch, one must have a valid oracle support login.
How to apply a Database CPU patch in a RAC Environment?
- Shutdown the Database instance on Node 1
- Ensure that the $PATH has the following executables: make, ar, ld, and nm.
- export PATH=$PATH:/usr/bin & Also Make sure that your ORACLE_HOME etc is set.
- Set your current directory to the directory where the patch is located and then run the OPatch utility by entering the following commands:
- unzip p13466801_112030_<platform>.zip
- cd 13466801
- opatch napply -skip_subset -skip_duplicate
- Startup the instance using Srvctl commands
IMPORTANT - Repeat the above 3 steps in all the Nodes.
Patch Post-Installation Instructions
After installing the patch, load modified SQL files into the database.The following steps load modified SQL files into the database. For a RAC environment, perform these steps on only one node.
- For each database instance running on the Oracle home being patched, connect to the database using SQL*Plus. Connect as SYSDBA and run the catbundle.sql script as follows:
- cd $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin
- sqlplus /nolog
- SQL> CONNECT / AS SYSDBA
- SQL> STARTUP
- SQL> @catbundle.sql cpu apply
- SQL> QUIT
The catbundle.sql execution is reflected in the dba_registry_history view by a row associated with bundle series CPU.
NOTE: CPU patches are meant to be applied only for the Database Home& Not the Grid Infrastructure Home