What is DELL EMC System Update (DSU)?
Dell EMC System Update (DSU) is a script optimized update deployment tool for applying Dell Update Packages (DUP) to Dell EMC PowerEdge servers. Dell EMC System Update version 1.7 extends the capability of deploying updates remotely to servers. From a single script a command can be sent to make a secure connection to a number of servers, deploy DSU to the remote machines, perform update tasks and then remove DSU from the remote machine. Allowing for unprecedented flexibility.
- Robust set of Command Line (CLI) attributes
- Both Linux and Windows versions with same features and functionality
- DSU for Linux can work with either the Dell Enterprise Catalog (or a custom catalog created using Dell Repository Manager ) or the Dell Linux Repository for access to Linux update packages
Note: Dell recommends using the Dell Enterprise Catalog as it is refreshed on the 2nd and 4th Friday, while Linux Repository is refreshed on the 3rd Friday.
- DSU for Windows works with the Dell Enterprise Catalog (or a custom catalog created using Dell Repository Manager)
- Option to create a custom bootable ISO
- DSU is the technology used by Dell EMC Repository Manager for the Smart Bootable ISO and Smart Deployment Scrip features.
- DSU User Guide contains a complete list of CLI attributes and sample scripts.
Once DSU is installed on a system it will:
- Inventory the PowerEdge server and determine what updateable components are installed
- Determine which components have new updates available
- Apply those updates
What is new in DSU v1.7?
The release of DSU 1.7 signals a significant advancement in the update process. DSU 1.7 extends the revolutionary methods of applying remote updates to include updating through iDRAC:
- Connecting to remote systems (either in-band through Windows/Linux, or Out-of-Band through iDRAC)
- Copying content to remote systems
- Executing applications/tools
- Retrieving status/results
- And removing downloaded content once the update is complete
This technology allows DSU 1.7 and future versions to perform comprehensive updates without requiring persistent installation on the target system. This is an important feature, because it provides all the benefits of remote updates to 1 or more systems, without the need to install and maintain DSU on each system.
DSU is available as a Dell Update Package (DUP). DSU DUP
- Windows DUP supports Windows OS's listed below
- Linux DUP supports RHEL/SLES/Ubuntu OS's listed below
DSU RPM for RHEL/SLES is also available. DSU RPM
Supported Operating Systems:
Linux (RHEL and SUSE)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 (x86_64)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 (x86_64)
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15 (x86_64)
- Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Note: DSU is designed to work with community Linux Distrobutions such as CentOS and Debian.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 (x86_64)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016 (x86_64)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2019 (x86_64)
Supported Platforms: Dell EMC PowerEdge 12G, 13G & 14G Servers