Storage Platform(s) – Dell PowerVault MD3600F MD3620F, MD3660F
Manjunatha Reddy MC
How do I configure Asynchronous Write Mode Legacy Remote Replication between PowerVault Primary
and Secondary Storage Array?
In asynchronous write mode, if the primary array suffers a catastrophic failure or disaster, application data on the secondary array can be recovered, and only the write requests that were outstanding during the failure causes content discrepancies. The use of a synchronous remote replication allows applications to be made disaster-tolerant through remote replication. And it guarantees that the remote virtual disks are identical to the primary side virtual disks with each and every write and provides the highest level of data protection.
The prerequisites for asynchronous write mode legacy remote replication are
- The legacy remote replication premium feature must be enabled and activated on the local and remote storage array.
- The local and remote storage arrays must be connected through a proper fibre channel fabric interface.
- Test the communication link between the primary and secondary storage array.
- Create a virtual disk in the secondary storage array that is greater than or equal to the capacity of the primary virtual disk to be in the replicated pair.
- Create a replicated virtual disk pair between the primary virtual disk and secondary virtual disk and then create the replication relationship between the two virtual disks.
In the PowerVault MD Storage Manager (Array Management) click Copy Services and select Remote Replication and Remote Replication Legacy and select Create Replicated Pair to create the remote replicated pair for legacy remote replication.
PowerVault MD Storage Manager
In the Create Remote Replication (Legacy) Introduction
window click Next
Create Remote Replication (Legacy) Introduction
In the Select Secondary Virtual Disk window of Create Remote Replication (legacy) select the virtual disk name which has to be part of the replicated pair and then Click Next
Select Secondary Virtual Disk window
In the Select Storage Array
window select the remote storage array and then click Next
Select Storage Array
In the Select Synchronization Settings
window select resynchronization method as Automatic resynchronization
and then click Next
Select Synchronization Settings
In the Set Write Mode
window select Asynchronous write mode and then click Next
Set Write Mode
In the Preview (Create Remote Replication (Legacy))
window Type yes
to confirm the remote replication legacy creation
Preview (Create Remote Replication (Legacy))