What's new in iDRAC9?
The integrated Dell Remote Access Controller 9 (iDRAC9) with Lifecycle Controller is embedded within every Dell EMC PowerEdge server and provides functionality that helps IT administrators deploy, update, monitor, and maintain servers with no need for any additional software to be installed. iDRAC functions regardless of operating system or hypervisor presence because from a pre-OS or bare-metal state, iDRAC is ready to work because it is embedded within each server from the factory. The new iDRAC9 delivers the following revolutionary systems management capabilities:
- Industry leading firsts
- Multi Vector Cooling for precise air flow cooling of 3rd party PCIe cards.
- Connection View provides the switch and port for iDRAC, LOM’s and Dell supported PCIe cards.
- Expanded "Agent free" storage management functions such as Online Capacity Expansion (OCE) and RAID Level Migration (RLM)
- Quick Sync 2 with BLE/Wi-Fi for at the server mobile/tablet access
- System Lockdown feature restricts use of Dell tools to make changes to BIOS, iDRAC, firmware, etc (Security)
- Automation additions
- Support for Redfish 2016.R1 and .R2
- Server Configuration Profile (SCP) new features
- local file streaming via Wsman and Redfish
- HTTP/S file transfer
- available in JSON format along with XML
- firmware repository based updates
- Security Improvements
- Random Password is the default iDRAC password ("calvin" is an orderable option)
- Security warning banner on log in page
- Hardware Root of Trust for iDRAC and BIOS booting
- GUI Enhancements
- Full HTML5 web interface for faster page loading and ease of use
- Export and import SCP
- Added Power Control and Next Boot options in HTML5 vConsole (huge customer demand, including Dell IT)
- BIOS configuration in the iDRAC GUI
- Group Manager – self-contained code in iDRAC allows SMB customers a quick health overview of all servers in the group
- SupportAssist – faster time to resolution
- iDRAC Service Module (iSM) is pre-installed on the iDRAC; helps gather logs used to troubleshoot errors
- SupportAssist 1x1 ‘phone home’ service to Dell Support – great for SMB customers
- SupportAssist Collector now includes iDRAC core dumps, hardware crash dumps, and ESXi logs for more accurate resolution
- SupportAssist Viewer – detailed log report for customer viewing by standard web browsers.
If you are new to iDRAC with Lifecycle Controller, check out the "how to" videos we have on youtube.com here
The Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller (iDRAC) is designed to make server administrators more productive and improve the overall availability of Dell servers. iDRAC alerts administrators to server issues, helps them perform remote server management, and reduces the need for physical access to the server.