Dell™ OpenManage™ Power Center (OMPC) management console provides increased visibility over power consumption, anomalies, and utilization through fine-grained instrumentation. This enables increased control, improved rack density, faster response times, greater accuracy, and broader decision-making intelligence than would otherwise be possible.
When used with a 12th, 13th, or 14th-generation PowerEdge server with an iDRAC Enterprise license on a system with an Intel chipset, OMPC leverages Intel Node Manager technology for platform-level power reporting and capping of Intel chipsets. Power Center then communicates with the Dell iDRAC on each managed server to provide node, rack, row or data-center level aggregation of power-management data, as well as execution of control policy - making it easy for IT professionals to identify areas to gain efficiencies and cut wasteful costs.
The latest version of OMPC is 4.0.
Key Benefits of Dell OpenManage Power Center are:
- Measure energy consumed by IT equipment at a server, rack, row, or room level
- Mitigate Risk by reducing power consumption per a pre-defined policies that maximize the uptime of business critical applications by reducing non-critical consumption
- Increase data center density by identifying racks with equipment not using the power capacity that has been wired into it.
- Reports containing CPU usage and power consumption that can be used for:
- Chargeback – physical and VM
- Workload balancing based on power consumption
- Identifying rack space for server installations
When used with Dell PowerEdge servers with an iDRAC Enterprise license these additional features are available:
- Enable oversubscribed power supply configurations
- Customers can set power caps individually or in groups
- Millisecond fast power capping before tripping a circuit breaker (additional license required for 13th generation Dell servers)
New features in OMPC 4.0
- Hardware Support for New 14G PowerEdge Servers
- Reporting of power consumption by individual VMs
- iDRAC RESTful API based on Redfish protocol
Key features (carried over from prior versions):
- Customized Dashboard
- Policy to reduce power upon reaching thermal threshold
- Group power calculation based on the PDU
- Support for PowerEdge VRTX Chassis power monitoring and management
- Analysis and Planning Features:
- Analyze the server power characteristics per server model for future expansion
- Assist in capacity expansion and placement suggestions.
- Identify the underutilized servers in the data center based on power consumption pattern.
- Identify the potential cooling concerns in the data center.
- View real-time system airflow history of the Dell’s 13th and 14th generation of PowerEdge servers.
- Replicate the data center hierarchy on the iDRAC location based on OMPC physical location modelling.
- View, analyze, and report the Subsystem power and Compute Usage Per Second (CUPS) values
- CPU and Memory Subsystem power consumption (Dell PowerEdge 12G onwards)
- CPU Utilization (Dell PowerEdge 13G Onwards)
- Memory bandwidth utilization (Dell PowerEdge 13G Onwards)
- I/O bandwidth utilization (Dell PowerEdge 13G Onwards)
- Display PDU socket connection mapping with the device.
- Schedule OMPC database backup.
- Power Monitoring of non-Dell servers with a customer purchased license. (For more information on the supported models, refer to user guide)
- Easy access to Device/Virtual Groups summary, events, policies and power/thermal threshold settings
- Easy to use wizards for Discovery, Device Management, Policies
- Support for additional protocols for device discovery
- Re-usable search queries for Devices, Policies and Events
- Schedule discovery tasks and option to deactivate tasks during peak hours
- Pre-defined reports templates to easily create, run, and export reports
- REST API support for reports
- Reporting "stranded power" in the data center
- Log application events/errors for the end user
- Power Control Tasks:
- To manage remote devices and control power spikes during power-on operation
- Configurable chassis inventory schedule and immediate execution on need basis
- Configurable user interface session time for a secure console
Operating systems supported in OMPC:
Quick OMPC Overview:
Simple and effective
- HTML UI and Faster responsiveness
- Quick & Easy to install
- Simple to use and learn
- Brief Asset Reporting (Service-Tag, Model Name)
- Install supported on both Windows & Linux
Agent-free monitoring and management:
- Discover and Correlate blades-iDRAC and Chassis
- Power & Thermal monitoring independent of Operating System
- Dashboard for quick view of power headroom and device usage
- Provide the power and space utilization within the racks.
- Power monitoring and capping for M1000e - chassis level.
Dell OpenManage Power Center is free to download, install and use except for power capping multiple servers on a 1:Many basis from the OMPC console. To enable this feature requires importing the below license to OMPC:
||OMPC Policy and Budgeting, 14G
Once a license is imported to OMPC, that functionality becomes active. Please note, The Power Policy/Capping and Budgeting requires servers with iDRAC Enterprise licenses installed.
To order an add-on license for Power Capping, contact your Dell sales rep (1-800-999-3355) or visit http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/04/campaigns/chat-splitter-usbusiness
to chat with us.
For a 90 day, 5-managed-node evaluation license, ask for this SKU:
||OpenManage Power Center Policy and Budgeting Trial
iDRAC Enterprise licenses
Download Dell™ OpenManage™ Power Center v4.0
To test Dell iDRAC, Chassis and PDU/UPS connectivity from your management station, you can use Dell Troubleshooting Tool (Supported on Microsoft Windows OS)
OpenManage Power Center: Capacity Planning
Youtube Video:OpenManage Power Center: Capacity Planning
OpenManage Power Center: Placement Suggestion
Youtube Video:OpenManage Power Center: Placement Suggestion
OpenManage Power Center: Optimizing Rack Provisioning and Capacity
Youtube Video:OpenManage Power Center: Optimizing Rack Provisioning and Capacity
OMPC 3.0: Importing Power Cap Licenses
Youtube Video:OMPC 3.0: Importing Power Cap Licenses
OMPC 3.0: Reporting - Comparison Reports
Youtube Video:OMPC 3.0: Reporting - Comparison Reports
OMPC 3.0: Power And Rack Utilization
Youtube Video:OMPC 3.0: Power And Rack Utilization
OpenManage Power Center - Comparison
Youtube Video:OpenManage Power Center - Comparison
Youtube Video:Features overview