Article summary: This article provides the necessary steps to update firmware on the N2000, N3000, N4000 series switches through the Dell OpenManage Switch Administrator web interface. This procedure is applicable to standalone as well as stacked switches.
Updating the firmware via the web interface requires access to the OpenManage Switch Administrator web interface and the firmware to be uploaded. For the most up to date firmware, go to the Dell Support site and enter your Service Tag. Updating the boot code requires a command line interface access via serial, telnet, or SSH.
It is recommended to save the current running configuration to the switch as well as save a copy off of the switch before proceeding with this procedure.
This process is not capable of updating the boot code. Updating the boot code will require a command line interface set of instructions. Updating the boot code is not always necessary with each firmware release. To verify whether it is required and for the update process, follow the directions found within the PDF file supplied within the firmware zip.
Open the Dell OpenManage Switch Administrator web interface by entering the IP address of the switch in your web browser. Expanding the directories can be done by clicking on the title of each directory, clicking on the + symbol to each category’s title, or clicking directly on each of the options within the main window.
1. Navigate to the download page through the following: System > File Management > File Download
2. Download the firmware to the switch:
Within the File Download page in the main window:
3. Verify the image was transferred by navigating through: System > File Management > Active Images.
4. Activate the new firmware image. Use the Next-Active drop down to select the new image, and click on Apply.
5. Power cycle the switch through: System > General > Reset.
6. Update the boot code – Follow the update instructions listed within the firmware zip file
7. Update the CPLD - This step only applies to the N4000 series of switches. Follow the update instructions listed within the firmware zip file.
Article ID: HOW10420
Last Date Modified: 09/14/2019 12:29 AM
Thank you for your feedback.