This article provides information on how to upgrade RAM in your computer.
What is Memory?
RAM or Random Access Memory is a term used for memory modules installed in your computer. To improve the performance of a computer, sometimes a RAM upgrade is recommended. Upgrade could mean adding memory modules along with the existing ones or replacing the old ones with a set of new modules which has higher capacity.
Identify and Upgrade the Memory Capacity of your Computer
- Check your computer's current memory configuration and the maximum memory capacity
- Select the best memory upgrade
- Purchase new memory modules
- Install the modules in your computer
Steps to check Memory Configuration/Maximum Capacity and remove/add Modules
- Determine how much RAM your PC has and browse to the Dell Product Manuals ( for instructions on how to use the Product Manual refer to Step 4) to check the maximum supported capacity of RAM in your computer.
- Choose Dell Certified Memory to ensure that the memory module is compatible with your computer.
- When you are ready to upgrade browse to Dell Product Manuals for instructions to replace/add memory modules.
- When the Manuals page opens to the correct model of computer proceed to Step 3, when another product shows click Change Your Product.
- Under the Yes subheading enter your computer's Service Tag to get a concise list of documentation for your specific product model. Click Submit to continue.
- Click Owner's Manual, Setup Guide or User's Guide (depending on which one is available).
How Memory (RAM) Affects Computer Performance?
What is Memory (RAM)?