Dell Precision 7820, 7920 Tower and 7920 Rack systems may experience a Power On Self Test failure when you upgrade the processor (CPU) to Intel Cascade Lake. This issue is noticed on Dell Precision 7820 or 7920 Tower with older BIOS revisions.
Affected Dell PCs
- Precision 7820 Tower
- Precision 7920 Tower
- Precision 7920 Rack
To resolve this issue, download and install the latest BIOS from Dell Drivers & downloads website before upgrading to Intel Cascade Lake processors.
Before upgrading the BIOS to the latest version, revert the system to the original processor configuration and verify that the system operates normally. Once the system boots into the operating system after installing the original processor, proceed to update the BIOS to the latest version.
Warning: Dell laptop PCs must have the battery installed and charged to at least 10% before you begin the BIOS update. Dell recommends running the laptop PC on AC power before proceeding with the update process.
: To learn more about updating the BIOS on your PC, refer to the Dell knowledge-base article Dell BIOS Updates
Warning: It is recommended that you disconnect external peripherals like external hard disk drives, printers, scanners before updating the BIOS on your Dell PC.
- Browse to the Dell Drivers & downloads page for your product
- Ensure you have selected the correct Operating System
- Under Category, select BIOS
- Locate the latest System BIOS
- Click Download and save the file to your PC
- Open File Explorer and browse to the location where the downloaded file is saved
- Double-click the BIOS setup file and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process
- Your PC may restart several times during the update procedure. Do not power off the PC during the update procedure.
You can proceed to upgrade to Intel Cascade Lake processor after the BIOS has been successfully updated to the latest version.