Safe, Simple and Reliable Data Protection
is a backup and recovery application designed to reliably protect your most important digital documents and memories in just a few clicks.Backing up your data with AlienRespawn can protect against data loss resulting from:
- Virus attack
- Accidental file deletion
- OS/software corruption
- Hardware failure*
* if data is backed up to a secondary drive
The AlienRespawn Application comes in two versions, Basic
Note: The AlienRespawn Cloud service is being phased out, and no new subscriptions are being accepted. If you are a current AlienRespawn Cloud subscriber, important service announcements will be sent to your email on file with the service. Please view the Cloud Retirement FAQ
here for more information.Download AlienRespawnAlienRespawn Basic
was preloaded on new Dell Windows 7 and Windows 8 devices shipped before April 14, 2016, and offers the following features:
- Create reinstall disks (rescue disks) for your device
- Reset your device to the original factory state
- Manually back up and restore your data
If your system came with Dell DataSafe or AlienRespawn Manager and you would like more information on these products, please see the Legacy Backup Applications section on this page.
Protect your data in 3 simple steps:
- Choose "what" you want to back upBack up your entire system or just a few files
- Choose "where" to back upBack up to your primary hard drive, a USB drive, or both.
- Choose "when" to back upBack up on your schedule or use the Continuous Data Protection** feature to protect your personal files as you create them
** Continuous Data Protection is not part of the basic versionInstallation and System Requirements
To install AlienRespawn
- Please ensure your device meets the minimum system requirements.
- Save all open files and close any open applications.
- Remove all previous Dell backup applications if installed (AlienRespawn, Dell DataSafe Local, Dell Data Safe Online).
- Download AlienRespawn, and then run the Setup Program.
- If you’re prompted to allow the program to make changes to your computer, click Yes.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
- If asked, please allow your system to be restarted.
- After the system restarts, please allow the update to complete before using the application.
- To open AlienRespawn, click Start, type Backup in the search box and then click the AlienRespawn icon (a white clock in a blue square).
Minimum System Requirements
Access to AlienRespawn during System Boot
- Operating System: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1
- Processor: 1GHz or faster
- System Memory (RAM): 1GB (32-bit) or 2GB (64-bit)
- Hard disk space: At least 16GB free or greater
If the Operating System cannot be accessed due to boot failure, you can still launch AlienRespawn.
For Windows 8/8.1:
Press F12 during boot (startup screen) and select “AlienRespawn / Dell Backup and Recovery” from the boot menu.
For Windows 7:
- Press F8 during boot (startup screen)
- Select “Repair Your Computer”
- Select “AlienRespawn / Dell Backup and Recovery” from the Recovery Options Menu
Legacy Backup Applications
For help with other Dell Backup applications that may have come preloaded with your PC, please see the following pages:
Backing up your personal data with AlienRespawn is a good start toward protecting your valuable personal data. However, if your system is corrupted by a virus, system crash, or hardware failure, having a system backup can restore your entire system including applications, settings and personal data back to a previous point in time. If you’ve upgraded to AlienRespawn Premium you will be able to create system backups for the most complete data protection.
Continuous Data Protection
If you've upgraded to AlienRespawn Premium, you now have additional flexibility for scheduling your data backups or even protecting your most important data continuously. The Continuous Data Protection feature allows you to protect your working documents in real time and to roll back to any version you’ve previously saved, whether it was minutes or weeks ago.
In addition to system backups and continuous data protection, AlienRespawn Premium enables the following features:
- Manage and merge backups together without duplicating your files to save space
- Back up and restore files based on their type: picture, video, email, document
Learn More about Premium Features
Additional Support Resources