This Article explains the steps needed to Install Dell Networking FTOS on Dell Open Networking (ON) Switches.
Steps for installing FTOS on Dell Open Networking (ON) switches.
Note: OS10 downloads are available on the Dell Digital Locker
(login required for both).
Note: Refer to the ONIE Quick Start Guide
for information about installing using HTTP/TFTP.
1. Log into the ONIE loader on the switch by pressing ESC during the boot process.
2. Choose the ONIE loader from the boot menu.
Note: This example below already has an FTOS install.
3. You will likely see continual messages seen below. To stop these run the command onie-discovery-stop.
4. Run the command fdisk -l to view the current storage locations. This will help determine where the USB is. In this case we are "/dev/sdb1" For the following steps, be sure to reference the proper location.
5. Format the USB by running the command mkfs.vfat /dev/sdb1
6. Now you can remove the USB and move it to a workstation to copy the OS files to. Remember that for this installation, the filename should start with "ONIE".
7. Create a directory for the USB to mount to. mkdir /mnt/usb
8. Mount the USB to the newly created directory: mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb
9. Navigate to the directory that we just mounted the USB drive. cd /mnt/usb
10. From here you can run ls and you should see the OS file listed.
11. Now we can install the OS. "onie-nos-install ONIE-FTOS-SI- ON-126.96.36.199.bin" (be sure to use the correct filename) (filenames are case sensitive).
PowerSwitch S3048-ON, PowerSwitch S6000 ON, PowerSwitch Z9100-ON, PowerSwitch S4048-ON, PowerSwitch S4810-ON
20 Nov. 2020