This article provides information on using the Dell Backup and Recovery Utility to restore the operating system on your Dell system
- Description of the Dell Backup and Recovery Utility
- Steps to Run the Dell Backup and Recovery Utility
The Dell Backup and Recovery solution is designed to provide a simple and effective means of recovering from a software failure, or just refreshing the Operating System back to the original Dell factory image prior to redeployment.
Using the Dell Backup and Recovery Utility is the quickest way to restore your computer to the Dell factory image as a manual Operating System Re-Install (OSRI) takes more time to complete and requires additional steps. In addition to reinstalling Windows, a manual OSRI requires installing each of the device drivers independently, and then software separately as well. The Dell Backup and Recovery Utility creates an image of the installed Operating System, Drivers, Software and system settings when the User creates a backup.
In order to use Dell Backup and Recovery to reimage the system, a backup of the current Operating System, Drivers, Software and settings must have been created and saved prior to the refresh. If the Hard Drive has been replaced because of a hardware failure, there will not be an image available to restore to and as a result, the software and system settings will need to be reinstalled manually.
- Dell Backup and Recovery is available on Dell Precision, Latitude, Optiplex and Vostro computers that run Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Vista operating systems
- These procedures can only be done if the recovery partition on your hard drive is still intact
- These instructions are for the Windows 7 operating system
Back to Top
NOTE: If you can access Windows, make sure that you've backed up all of your files on your computer. You will lose that data, and/or any new data/software installed since the last backup, during the restore process. Instructions on performing a backup and downloading the Dell Backup and Recovery Utility can be found below
To Restore Your Computer From Within Windows:
NOTE: If you restore from a recent system backup, your computer will reflect the state of your operating system at that time. If you restore in Dell Factory Image, your computer will be restored to factory settings and you will need to set up Windows before you can use your computer.
- Log on to Windows as an administrator
- Open Dell Backup and Recovery by clicking Start, pointing to All programs and clicking Dell Backup and Recovery
- Click Restore System
- In the Restore System window, select the backup file you want to use to restore your system in the drop-down menu and click Next
- In the Confirm window, read the caution message and click both check boxes to confirm that you want to overwrite your computer's operating system with the selected backup file, and that the restore process cannot be interrupted or undone
- Click Start. Your computer will restart into the Windows Recovery Environment. Dell Backup and Recovery will first erase your operating system partition and then install the selected backup
- When the process completes a success message appears. Click Finish
Your computer will restart and the state of your restored system will be the same as the selected backup.
To Restore Your Computer From The Windows Recovery Environment:
- Restart your computer
- While the computer restarts, press F8 to open the Advanced Boot Options menu
If the Advanced Boot Options menu does not open, wait for the Windows logon screen to appear. Then restart your computer and try again
- Select Repair My Computer using the Arrow keys and press Enter to open the Windows Recovery Environment
- On the first System Recovery Options window, click Next to select the default option
- If you are prompted, log on as administrator to continue
- On the Systems Recovery Options window, click Dell Backup and Recovery
- In the Restore System window, select the backup file that you want to use to restore your system from the drop-down menu and click Next
Your computer will restart and the state of your restored system will be the same as the selected backup
Back to Top
Out of warranty? No problem click here
, enter your Service Tag and view our offers.
Currently, offers are only available for US, Canada, UK, Germany and France PC Customers
. Server and Storage not applicable.