Article Summary: This article provides information on Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE), Green Ethernet and LPI Modes
Table of Contents
- Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) Low Power Idle (LPI) Modes
The following systems have been designed with the integrated Intel 82579 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Controller which complies with the IEEE 802.3az standards:
- Latitude E6320
- Latitude E6420
- Latitude E6420 ATG
- Latitude E6520
- Optiplex 790
- Optiplex 990
- Dell Precision WorkStation T1600
- Dell Precision Mobile WorkStation M4600
- Dell Precision Mobile WorkStation M6600
Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) Low Power Idle (LPI) mode defined in IEEE 802.3az optionally allows power saving by switching off part of the integrated Local Area Network (LAN) controller and the 82579 functionality when no data needs to be transmitted and/or received.
Decisions on whether the 82579 transmit path should enter Low Power Idle mode or exit Low Power Idle mode is done on the integrated LAN controller level and communicated to the 82579 in order to allow power saving in the transmit circuitry.
EEE support is advertised during Auto-Negotiation stage. Auto-Negotiation provides the capability to detect the abilities supported by the device at the other end of the link, determine common abilities, and configure for joint operation.
Auto-Negotiation is performed at power up, on command from integrated LAN controller, upon detection of a physical layer (PHY) error or following Ethernet cable re-connection. During the link establishment process, both link partners indicate their EEE capabilities. If EEE is supported by both link partners for the negotiated PHY type, then the EEE function may be used independently in either direction.
Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) Low Power Idle requires that both link partners support IEEE 802.3az.
The following troubleshooting techniques can be helpful with resolving issues with Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) or Green Ethernet:
At the time of writing this article the latest revision is "Intel_825xx-Gigabit-Platform_A00_R291627.exe" Version 22.214.171.124, A00 This driver file supports Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit, Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit, Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit, Microsoft Windows Vista 64-bit, Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Windows XP 64-bit.
The process for disabling EEE or Green Ethernet on each particular switch can vary. Please consult the manufacturers documentation for the switch.
- It is recommended that a minimum CAT-5e or CAT-6 cable be used, if possible.
- Verify that the latest version of BIOS has been installed on the system.
- Verify that the most recent Intel 825xx Gigabit Platform LAN Network Device Driver has been installed (download link below).
- As per the Intel 82579 Gigabit Ethernet Connection Datasheet, 2.1 (download link below), the following five power saving features should not be enabled while EEE is enabled.
- Intel Auto Connect Battery Saver (ACBS)
- Automatic Link Downshift
- Link Speed Battery Saver
- System Idle Power Saver (SIPS)
- Low Power Link Up (LPLU)
- If possible, test the network by disabling EEE by using the "Advanced" tab of the driver properties (see screenshot below).
- Navigate to the Device Manager
- Open the category of "Network adapters"
- Right click on the icon for the "Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection" and choose "Properties"
- Click on the "Advanced" tab and set the Property of "Energy Efficient Ethernet" to "Disabled"
- Click on the "OK" button to save changes and then close all open windows
- If possible, test the network after disabling the EEE or Green Ethernet at the network switch.
Energy Efficient Ethernet: Technology, Application and Why You Should Care:
Intel 82579 Gigabit Network Connections Product Brief:
Dell Drivers and Downloads Intel 825xx Gigabit Platform LAN Network Device Driver:
As an example of a manufacturers' technical documentation on a switch, please see the Dell PowerConnect 5500 Series - Command Line Interface (CLI) Reference Guide:
Intel 82579 Gigabit Ethernet Connection Datasheet, 2.1:
Latitude, Latitude E6320, Latitude E6420, Latitude E6420 ATG, Latitude E6520, OptiPlex 790, OptiPlex 990, Precision M4600, Precision M6600, Precision T1600