Venue 11 Pro 5130/713x tablet does not charge
You may encounter an issue where a Venue 11 Pro 5130/713x/7140 tablet does not charge. There are multiple possible causes including the AC Adapter, the USB to micro USB charge cable and the tablet that may cause the battery not to charge correctly.
Note: While a 3rd party AC adapter with a Micro-USB connection will connect to the tablet, most have only a 5 to 10 watt capability. The Venue 11 Pro 5130/713x/7140 requires a 23 watt AC adapter to charge at a normal rate. Using the Dell AC adapter and Micro-USB cable that shipped with the system is strongly recommended. Other adapters may charge the device but only in trickle mode (this can take up to 24 hours to charge the device when in an off state. If the tablet is on, trickle charge will likely not be sufficient to prevent battery discharge, even with the 3rd party adapter attached).
Once you have confirmed that the Dell Venue AC power adapter and Micro-USB cable are being used, if the charging issue still exists, troubleshoot the system per the steps listed below:
If you have the assets available, the best way to troubleshoot this issue is to setup a test station with a known good tablet, AC power adapter and Micro-USB cable.
- AC power adapter and cable troubleshooting steps:
- Check the affected system's AC power adapter by using a known good Micro-USB cable with known good tablet. Check the wattage displayed in the tablet BIOS, if the correct wattage is shown (23 watts) then proceed to next step.
- If the LED does turn on, attach the USB to micro USB cable to the adapter and to the tablet. Check the affected system's AC power adapter by using a known good Micro-USB cable with known good tablet. Check the wattage displayed in the tablet BIOS (General Section, Battery Information, under the Battery Graphic), if the correct wattage is shown (23 watts) then proceed to next step. If the BIOS shows 3 watts, unplug the AC adapter from the wall for 10-15 seconds and then reconnect. Check the BIOS wattage again. If it still shows 3 watts, try another AC adapter if available. Try another USB to micro USB cable if available. If another cable is not available, try gently moving the micro USB connector where it attaches to the tablet and note any changes in the wattage. Inspect the cable (especially the Micro USB end) and the Micro USB connector on the tablet. Replace the affected component. If the connector on the tablet is damaged, the system will require service to replace the USB daughterboard to resolve.
- Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130/713x/7140 Tablet charging troubleshooting steps:
- Use a known good AC power adapter/Micro-USB cable
- Boot the Venue 5130/713x/7140 tablet into the BIOS
- Plug in the known good AC power adapter into the tablet
- Look at the battery information
- Make sure to check the current wattage. The system should show 23 watts. If so, wiggle cable to see if its maintain 23 watts? If yes either the system AC power adapter or USB cable are faulty and need to be replaced. If not proceed next step.
- If the BIOS shows 3 watts wiggle the power cable, if it changes 23 watts or stays at 3 watts then there is a failure internal to the tablet.
Once you have determined which component has failed, (The AC Power adapter, the Micro-USB cable, or a internal failure of the tablet), then you can contact Dell support for service.
Venue 5130 Pro (32Bit), Venue 5130 Pro (64Bit), Venue 7140 Pro, Venue 7130 Pro/7139 Pro