Follow the steps outlined in this article to configure an Inspiron 5720 -17R to boot from an Optical drive with UEFI Boot mode enabled in the system BIOS.
Adding an optical boot option requires us to edit the BIOS Boot configuration
Some of the systems with a Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) enabled Basic In/Out System (BIOS also know as System Setup), don’t have DVD boot option by default, so we have to add an optical boot option.
How to manually add an optical drive to a UEFI BIOS boot menu
Add the DVD Boot option manually in BIOS Steps are given below:
- Press the F2 key when booting to access the BIOS
- Boot mode should be selected to UEFI (not legacy), secure boot off. If the system is not selected to boot to UEFI, change it from BIOS or F12 menu.
- Go to "BOOT" tab in BIOS and select ADD boot option (Figure 1):
Figure 1: Select the Add boot option setting in BIOS BOOT menu
- A New Window will appear with Blank boot option name. Name it "CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive". Now using tab key highlight YES and hit enter (Figure 2 and Figure 3):
Figure 2: Name the boot option CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
Figure 3: Hit Yes to confirm
- Press F10 to save settings and restart. Press F12 for boot menu, DVD option will be there under UEFI
Dell has a variety of system BIOS versions depending on the system design. If this article doesn't specifically detail your system model, your BIOS may have completely different settings and options.