The below example is for an ESXi configuration.
1) Download DTK (Hardware bootable ISO) file for either 13G/14G - https://support.emc.com/downloads/42216_VxFlex-Ready-Node
2) Place SDS in Maintenance Mode from the VxFlex GUI
3) Migrate VMs (Except VxFlex VM) from the ESX host
4) Shut Down VxFlex VM
5) Put ESX in Maintenance Mode
From the iDRAC:
1. Open the KVM console, using the Launch link.
2. In the DELL System Setup screen, select Virtual Media > Connect Virtual Media.
The Initializing connection screen is displayed with a connecting message. You may have to wait for some time for the connecting message to finish.
3. In the DELL System Setup screen, select Virtual Media > Map CD/DVD.
4. From the Virtual Media - Map CD/DVD screen, browse and set up the DTK ISO file and then click Map Device.
5. To verify the DTK ISO file selection, click Virtual Media and view the ISO selection in the drop down list.
6. From the menu, choose the Virtual CD/DVD/ISO. This option will make the server install the ISO the next time that the server boots up.
7. To reset the server, in the main DELL System Setup console window, select Power > Reset System (warm boot) to display the list of keyboard keys with related functionality.
Note: This takes around 45 min to 1 hour for each node for firmware upgrade.
8. Once update is done and the server is back up
9. Remove ESX from Maintenance Mode
10. Power on VxFlex VM
11. Remove SDS from Maintenance mode
12. Migrate the VMs back on the server
13. Once rebuild/rebalance complete, move onto next node.
Please see the AMS deployment guide for further details.